macProVideo.com
Forums
  • roberto
    choosing a MacBook Pro
    Hi everybody and a special ciao all'amico Rounik. So finally I can buy me a MacBook Pro. I'm thinking about a 17" with 8 Giga Ram. Considering that I'll use it only for music (logic 9 and Max/MSP) is there something I should know about the configuration? What I want is something really at the maximum power because I usually work with very heavy Plugins (VSL and NI). Thanks for any suggestion Roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: choosing a MacBook Pro
    Ciao Roberto! Hope you are well my friend :) Great news. I would recommend the following spec if budget is not a consideration: Fastest processor (3.06) 500GB HD @ 7200rpm (Important) 8GB Ram (don't buy direct from Apple as it is too expensive. I usually buy ram from Crucial.com and fit it myself which is easy to do). If screen size is not very important for you and you don't require an ExpressCard/34 slot, when the higher end 15" model will do just fine! You will save about £150 and can spend that on the extra ram and/or a monitor for home use? My only reservations would be that Logic 9.0.0 is still very very new and does need an update to correct some bugs and Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) is also very very new and some of your plugins may require updates to work with Snow Leopard. Do check the manufacturers websites to check they are compatible with SL... and check your hardware too. Hope that helps, Rounik
  • roberto
    ciao Rounik si, sto bene,spero anche tu. forse un giorno ci vedremo... so..., thank you, first of all. Than, you say: "If screen size is not very important for you and you don't require an ExpressCard/34 slot, when the higher end 15" model will do just fine!" I actually would like a 17" screen because my eyes..., so what about the ExpressCard/34 slot? I even don't know what that is? (Will you still be my friend now that you know it?). About SL it was my thought as well. So: Leopard and the dear old Logic 8 wich I already use? When I'll have it I'll send you a picture with me near the new beauty. ciao, stammi bene roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    Ciao Roberto, Si veramente forse un giorno ci vedremo :) Aha... the Express Card 3/4 slot - no worries, it can allow you to connect very fast hard drives or audio interfaces to your MBP. It can even be used to increase the number of firewire ports on your Mac. Maybe one day you'll find something like a UAD card (DSP processing) and want to use it. I believe they often use the Express card slot. AFAIK, you can still use Logic 8 with Snow Leopard and install Logic 9 and use either 8 or 9... Stammi bene, Rounik
  • roberto
    Ok for the Express Card, Rounik (I'll tell it to the tecnician who knows everything). Still one point, than I let you in peace: Dou you mean that is better to get SL anyway, even if it's so new, or better getting Leopard and, in a while, updating to SL? ciao e grazie Roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    I always wanted to meet a Technician who knows everything! ;-) Apple's past policy has been that new Mac's are loaded with and run the latest OS version and cannot be downgraded. So, I assume that a new MBP will run Snow Leopard and cannot run Leopard. There well may be a few issues with SL and Logic 9. But, in my "new" experience it hasn't affected me too much. You can still use Logic 8.0.2 with SL and it seems pretty good from other people's reports. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask here Roberto :) Rounik
  • roberto
    Thanks a lot, and I only add one proposal: ROUNIK FOR PRESIDENT! Good life to everybody Roberto
  • roberto
    Hi Rounik still me with one more question. What about the difference between a Serial ATA 500GB (7200rpm) and the 256GB solid-state drive (wich costs â¬585 more!). Should be, the tecnician says, faster colder and more silent. SHOULD be. What do you think? greatings from Italy roberto
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Roberto, I agree completely with your Technician. The solid state drive Should be faster, run cooler and be more silent as there are no moving parts... but I don't have any real world experience of using these and have not seen any tests done with Logic and SSD's... Personally, I would go with 7200rpm drives until the price of SSDs falls... But if you get a chance to test one out or if money is not an issue then an SSD drive should be considered. Best President Rounik ;-)
  • roberto
    Ok Mr. President! and thanks a lot roberto
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: