macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MarkDub
    Selecting note events
    I want to change the pitch of every 2nd note in a midi sequence of single drum hits. But there are a lot of them. Is there any way in e.g. the Event Editor or elsewhere to select every 2nd note event? I may be missing something obvious here but I can't find this in any of the selection options. Mark
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Selecting note events
    Are the notes you wish to select already on a different pitch to other notes? If so open the Piano Roll and click on the Keyboard Key that corresponds to that pitch and all notes on that pitch will be selected. Thanks Rounik
  • MarkDub
    Thanks Rounik. I should have made it clearer: No, all the notes are of the same pitch. That's the problem. I'm checking Steve's Master Class tutorial on the Transform Window to see if he mentions this but otherwise I can't see how to do what I want.
  • MarkDub
    Just checked back over that tutorial. I can't see a way to do it in the Transform Window. Making Subposition a condition for selection and then transposing is the closest to it but that won't work because the hits are not in the same places in each bar. They are placed at random intervals. To be more specific about what I'm trying to do, I have a sampled kit that has separate samples corresponding to different midi notes for both right and left hands playing each drum. My drum track has lots of snare hits which I'd like to make more realistic by using the alternate hand-samples for every second hit. Hope that makes some more sense.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mark, I think I understand what you need to do. Unfortunately, there is not a way to do this using the Transform window AFAIK, as the notes/events you wish to select are randomly placed (not in the same places in each bar). This will be a case of selecting every other note in the Event List or Piano Roll and adjusting the pitch value that way. Is there any other way the notes you want to select are differentiated from the others (velocity, length?) If so then it is possible to select them. Cheers Rounik
  • MarkDub
    Unfortunately there are no other common characteristics, e.g. velocity/length etc. because the drums were played in live via v-drums so all the hits are human/random. Which probably means I'd have to manually select them, which is pretty much unfeasible. The only thing I wonder about is in the Event Editor each consecutive note event is on a different coloured line (different shades of grey). That's probably just for visual clarity but is there any way to select them on that basis? Probably not but no harm in asking.. Thanks for your help anyway. Mark
  • Rounik Admin
    Just had a thought. Can't try it as I'm out of studio... Could you quantize the region use transformer to select subpositions as desired. Once the pitch is changed then set quantize value to off? It may work? R
  • MarkDub
    Hmm.. Well I'll give that a try a little later. Sounds like a good idea except for the fact that even if quantized, the hits are not in the same positions in every bar. There may be a roll in one bar, a clearer groove in the next few, another variation in the next and so on. I'll try it anyway and let you know how I get on.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mark, I just tried out my suggested method as I'm back in my studio. It works great. 1. Basically quantize the region. 2. In the Transformer select the subposition and pitch to change the notes to. 3. Select & Operate. 4. Repeat for different sub positions if needed. When done, Set Quantize to OFF. If there are many variations then hopefully this method will pick up the majority of notes and transform them as desired. The odd rolls and variations can be selected either manually or using another Transform Set. Perhaps this one can have sub position set to: 'Inside' 1 4 1 1 2 1 1 1 for example to catch any rolls etc. HTH Rounik
  • MarkDub
    Hi Rounik Well it sort of works but I find I'm still having to change most of them manually, quickest in the Event Editor by selecting as many as visible and then altering the pitch. The problem I'm having in the Transformer is that within one bar I need to select sub-sub positions if you know what I mean, e.g. 1 1 3 1, 1 2 3 1, 1 3 3 1 etc. and I can't see how to do that. I confess I'm not used to using the Transformer so I could be missing something obvious here. Thanks, Mark
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: