macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Selecting note events
    Hi Mark, Sure, as you have so many events and they can not be distinguished by velocity/pitch/length then I imagine there is some manual work to do. Here's how I would use the Transformer window to do what you want. It's important to do one sub-position at a time. Set it up as shown below (in this case all events at 'subposition' 1 1 3 1 will be transformed to D3 for example. [img]http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6022/picture1ys.png[/img] Choose Select & Operate. Now change the sub position value to 1 2 3 1, repeat and change it to 1 3 3 1 etc. I think this would be quicker than manually selecting them in the Event List. If you prefer to only select them by using this method (press Select in the Transform window) now drag the pitch on one of the selected events in the Event List to manually change the pitch of the events. Hope that works for you. Rounik
  • MarkDub
    That makes perfect sense Rounik and is quite straight-forward when you explain it. I imagine that will take care of most of the changes; the rest I can do manually. One other thing if I may: I might also want to randomize the notes that I change, in other words select random rather than alternate hits to 'play' with either hand. Once again I cannot find any reference to select random note events in any of the editors, including the Transformer. Is this possible? Thanks again, Mark
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mark when you say randomize the notes that you select, what value do you wish to randomize? E.g note pitch, velocity, length, etc. If for example you want to randomize the notes within subpositions xxxx that you select, under pitch inthe Operations area choose random and adjust the range. Sorry I can't post a screenshot as I'm not near logic right now. Let me know if you need any more help. :) rounik
  • MarkDub
    What I mean is I want to be able to select random notes within the snare track as a whole and change the pitch of those notes only. So it's the selecting I want to randomize, not the operation. I'll look at it again but I'm just wondering if this is possible to do as I can't find any reference in the manual etc. to random selection of events. Thanks for your patience with all this Rounik. Mark
  • steveH
    "Select Random Events" is something I've wanted for a long time!
  • Rounik Admin
    What you could try as a 'hack' to select random events: Set up the transform window as you've already done above. Under pitch (operations), set the value as randomize and the note range between the existing note e.g. C1 to say C#1. Select & Operate and only some of the notes will randomly be moved to C#1. :) Rounik
  • steveH
    Of course! That's a great hack. And what is really cool about is that you need to have an operation at all! Just set all operators to thru. Or simply choose the Select Only button!
  • MarkDub
    Hi Steve and thanks for chipping in. Absolutely love your tutorials btw - I have all the Logic ones except Flex Time cos I'm not ready to deal with L9 just yet, even though I've bought it! Will get that tutorial in due course. Rounik, that's a great suggestion. However I tried something like that yesterday and even though I think I did pretty much what you describe, it changed all the notes rather than just some of them. I must try it again and see what happens. What I'm attempting to do in all this is to make best use of the fact that the kit I'm working with actually has separate samples for left and right hands. Not being a drummer I'm not sure how to do that. Thus experimenting with both alternate and random mappings to the two different sets of samples. Thanks, Mark
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Steve, Yes, good point, just use the select button and that should work a treat! :) Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mark, It shouldn't select all the notes if you still specify that events are selected by their sub-positions... I'll take a look over the weekend when I get some time and test it out. But in theory it should work just fine. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: