macProVideo.com
Forums
  • TSP
    Questions about bouncing
    I'm trying to sort out a few issues I keep encountering while bouncing a mix of a song. This project is relatively simple with very little automation. It's 4 mins long, using mostly live audio tracks ( only 1 software instrument). The most powerful plugin is 1 instance of Ozone on the mix bus. The bounce settings are to 16bit AIFF at 48k with no dithering (changes in these settings do not affect the results I'll be discussing). 1) Is it normal for offline bouncing of a 4 minute song to take 8 or more minutes? 2) Once played-back in iTunes, the sound quality is always "tinny", regardless of whether I use dithering or any plugins in the mix bus. Any suggestions so far?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Questions about bouncing
    Hi TSP, It's not normal for offline bouncing to take double the time of the song... I notice you are on OS 10.6.1. What version of Logic are you using? Do you the latest versions of your plugins, including Ozone? What's the result if you bounce the song down: 1- without Ozone 2- in realtime If you have audio in your project at 24bit it is better on the final bounce to include the dithering process. In iTunes, what are the import settings? Cheers Rounik
  • TSP
    Thanks for your quick reply to my question! >It's not normal for offline bouncing to take double the time of the song... >I notice you are on OS 10.6.1. What version of Logic are you using? I'm currently using Logic 9.0, but had the same results with 8.x >Do you the latest versions of your plugins, including Ozone? Ozone is the only 3rd party plugin on this song, it's the latest 4.0 version. Again, I had same results with 3.x versions. >What's the result if you bounce the song down: >1- without Ozone >2- in realtime Same results either way. >If you have audio in your project at 24bit it is >better on the final bounce to include the >dithering process. OK. >In iTunes, what are the import settings? I never noticed import settings in iTunes before. I only see a reference to importing CDs, which is set at mp3/160kbs. After reading a similar posting on the Apple Support Forum, I disabled the Sound Enhancer (never noticed that before!) in iTunes and saw some improvement in the "tinnyness" I was hearing during playback from iTunes. I also listened to the AIFF of the mix via Quicktime - it sounds fine. Issue may be either in import or playback process with iTunes. Problem is, it transfers to my iPod/iPhone and provides lessor quality sound when playing back on real-world playback settings. I'm listening as AIFF, not mp3. A better description of the iTunes sound quality is that the upper-mids are hyped and the imaging compressed, almost as if I'd added an exciter during the iTunes transfer. It's better with the Sound Enhancer disabled, but still not the same as via Quicktime or direct from Logic.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi TSP, [quote:]I'm currently using Logic 9.0, but had the same results with 8.x[/quote] But did you have the same results on OSX 10.5.x? You say that you have the same results bouncing the project in realtime...? You mean a 4 minute project tool 8 minutes to bounce??? Surely this can't be the case. What is the spec of your MBP? Ram, free disk space, processor, etc? ----- iTunes: Yes, Sound Enhancer, EQ and Sound Check should be turned off! The issue with 'tinniness' sounds like it is caused by iTunes... but Mixing and Mastering techniques could also be playing a part in this? Let me know if this helps, Rounik
  • TSP
    >But did you have the same results on OSX 10.5.x? Yes. >You say that you have the same results bouncing the project in realtime...? You mean a 4 minute project tool 8 minutes to bounce??? Surely this can't be the case. Sorry I wasn't clear. The time for a realtime bounce was reasonable, the resulting sound quality was the same. But I thought offline bouncing was faster than realtime. What is the spec of your MBP? Ram, free disk space, processor, etc? MBP 1.83ghz / 2gb /7500rpm Seagate Momentus 112gb free. ----- iTunes: >Yes, Sound Enhancer, EQ and Sound Check should be turned off! The issue with 'tinniness' sounds like it is caused by iTunes... but Mixing and Mastering techniques could also be playing a part in this? Thank you. Just before you replied, I found all those settings, turned them off and then discovered my mixing skills, and Logic's interpretation were going in the right direction. I'm actually quite pleased. Now if I can determine why my bounces take so long.
  • steveH
    How many plug ins are you running? It is possible that an offline bounce can take a very long time if there are tons of SI's and Plugins that need to be calculated. I prefer realtime bouncing for critical situations... I'm a bit old fashioned... I like to hear what I'm outputting!
  • TSP
    Thanks. I don't think I have a large number of plugins, just a few eqs & compressors and Guitar Amp. But I see your point. I also realize I don't have the fastest processor. I've noticed that bouncing a stereo master of this same mix, with Ozone 4 as the only plugin takes only seconds!
  • steveH
    It's ALL about CPU. The more CPU the faster the processing!
  • TSP
    As a point of reference, I performed a bounce of the Logic 9 demo song, "The Numbers Game", without changing or adding any settings, plugins, etc. The song time is 3:04, my offline bounce took 3:30. In contrast, another of my projects has one 1 AI track, 20 audio tracks and 4 busses with plugins. This one has song time 5:14, with offline bounce time of 7:50 I guess in relative terms, that may be acceptable. What do you think?
  • steveH
    Tell me about your computer: Speed: Ram: Software Version: Hardware Version:
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: