macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Alex Commins
    Some Info on Snow Leo & Logic - & How to Unisntall
    OK - here's what I was just told (via people somewhat in the know) -- that there are new Libraries in Snow Leopard and that some programs (and this person mentioned Pro Tools) that if they were already installed before putting on Snow Leopard are trying to reference libraries that no long exist (in Snow Leopard) -- and this person recommended uninstalling Logic and re-installing it, with the idea that it would now reference the new libraries in Snow Leopard. Does this make sense to you? Anyways -- how do I uninstall ALL OF LOGIC STUDIO for both 8 and 9 (I would feel better re-installing all the programs, not just logic - especially given what I wrote above about the libraries). Also, I gather I have to first re-install Logic 8, then download the updates to it, and then install the Logic 9 upgrade (do you agree with how I see the re-installation process?) This re-installation would therefore be being done after having put Snow Leopard on). However, I wouldn't mind going back to the old OS (but still upgrading to Logic 9). But my guess is to keep Snow Leopard and just do an uninstall and then re-install. I of course have uninstalled programs on PC's, and one (the Duet) program on my Mac (and then re-installed it -- all fine), but uninstalling Logic Studio may be a more involved task. I hope I won't have to bother you any more on this (though from my brief research, I am gathering that there are numerous Logic 9 / Snow Leopard issues) peace - alex
  • Bj
    Re: Why does Crossfade mute the ne...
    Hi Alex, I hope you don't mind me joining in... But Before you take the Long Reinstall road I would like to suggest a couple of procedures that may or may not help your current problem... It takes about 15 minutes... and is called 'Safe Boot Mode' This link explains what it is... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564 The best way to perform this procedure is as follows: 1) Disconnect EVERYTHING from your Mac EXCEPT Keyboard and Mouse... 2) Perform Safe Boot Mode Procedure... Then... and this is MOST IMPORTANT 3) Using Disk Utility, Verify Disk Permissions... Repair Disk Permissions... and Restart your Computer. 4) Reconnect Everything back to your Mac. 5) Restart AGAIN... 6) Check for Software Updates... After Upgrading to Snow Leopard I was experiencing a few Hiccups with some Applications and after Performing this Procedure everything is now running Sweetly... Hope this Helps... Cheers, Bj By the way there are Major Updates for Logic 9 and Mainstage 2 as of today...
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Bj, these are great suggestions. BTW, info on repairing permissions: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] Another suggestion I completely forgot to suggest: Create a new user account. Sometimes a User Account in OSX can get funky and affect apps like Logic. Go to System Preferences > Accounts and create a new User Account with Admin privileges. Login to that account and launch Logic. Uninstalling Logic is a long process, so again I'd suggest what Bj says and what I've written and updating Logic 9 before we go down that route. Best Rounik
  • Alex Commins
    Thanks so much for the idea -- i am for sure going to give it a try. i just did download the Logic 9.0.1 update. i did open a project and try the crossfades, but still the same. I wish the problem was with me (or something in the setup), but i'll be damned if i can figure out what it would be -- i've looked at everything and i've certainly used crossfades before. I will let you now how it goes -- thanks so much for the input. peace - alex
  • Alex Commins
    I have done preferences, just repaired permissions - everything -- and I just opened Logic (after permissions repair - of which there was only one), then opened a totally different project - just one simple audio file that i recorded to test the guitar - that's it, very simple. I then cut a region, option clicked copied and pasted pasted it -- crossfaded into the left side of the pasted-in region (of course the region's vertical division lines disappear when I use the crossfade tool on that region) - but it does do a crossfade - then play it, IT PLAYS THE PASTED-IN REGION BUT IT MUTES (NO SOUND - BUT MUTE IS NOT INDICATED) THE NEXT SECTION (THE REGION THAT COMES AFTER THE PASTED-IN REGION) -- NO WAY AROUND IT. IF I REMOVE THE CROSSFADE IT DOES NOT MUTE THE NEXT REGION. PUT THE CROSSFADE BACK, IT THEN MUTES THE NEXT REGION -- GOT ME!!! IT HAPPENS IN EVERY PROJECT NOW (I'VE TESTED FOUR PROJECTS OVER THE LAST FEW DAYS AND THE SAME THING HAPPENS WITH EACH ONE)-- I MEAN, THERE'S JUST NO REASON WHY A CROSSFADE INTO A PASTED-IN COPIED REGION (ON ITS LEFT SIDE) SHOULD CAUSE THE REGION WHICH COMES AFTER IT TO NOT PLAY (OUTPUT SOUND). MUTE IS NOT INDICATED -- BUT IT'S TOTALLY SILENT AND THE "VU" TRACK METER AND OUTPUT METER SHOW NOTHING. none of this happened until Logic 9 and Snow Leopard (10.6.1) ALSO, YOU CANNOT CROSSFADE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PASTED-IN REGION BECAUSE THE REGION TO THE RIGHT OF THE PASTED-IN REGION (which is the one that won't output sound) WILL NOT TAKE ANY FORM OF A FADE, SO THE ONLY TYPE OF FADE THE PASTED-IN REGION WILL TAKE ON ITS RIGHT SIDE IS A FADE OUT (BECAUSE YOU CANNOT PULL THE FADE INTO THE NEXT REGION, OR INITIATE A FADE FROM THAT REGION) I GUESS I JUST HAVE TO BUY A NEW IMAC - WITHOUT SNOW LEOPARD, AND BUY ALL NEW LOGIC STUDIO 9 -- OR TOTALLY REFORMAT THIS MAC, PUT ON THE LAST OS X SYSTEM THAT IS NOT SNOW LEOPARD, AND STILL BUY A BRAND NEW COMPLETE LOGIC 9 STUDIO -- I DONT' WANT TO USE ANY OF THE ONES (Logic 8 and 9 upgrade) I HAVE - I DON'T WANT TO TAKE ANY CHANCES -- THERE'S NOTHING LEFT TO DO (UNLESS THIS REALLY IS A GLITCH THAT WILL BE FIXED IN A SUBSEQUENT DOWNLOAD) -- I JUST DONT' KNOW - THAT WOULD BE GREAT -- BUT WHO KNOWS Anwyays - thanks for all the superb help you have given me and the time you have taken. I cannot thank you enough peace - alex I have made backups of all my MacPro Tutorials I downloaded (and play on NED) -- will have to download NED again after the reformat ---
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Alex, Did you try creating a new user account too? This could solve the issue. Can I reiterate that purchasing a 'new' boxed version of Logic 9 will not make a difference to this issue. The Upgrade box you purchased and a brand new full version are identical aside from one requires a previous serial number to work. I do think this is something funky to do with your specific system. It doesn't seem to a bug that affects many people. At least, I definitely can't replicate it here. As a result it might be worth trying the following: 1. Uninstall Logic 8 and 9, update any drivers and re-install. Instructions on how to uninstall are here: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2375[/url] 2. If the above does not work, then I would recommend formating your Mac and reinstalling OSX and then Logic. Of course, it's very important to make sure you have backups of all/any files you want to keep prior to doing this. Thanks Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Alex, Just wondering if your issues are solved now and if so what helped/didn't help? Cheers Rounik
  • Alex Commins
    Yes we did. We reverted to pre snow leopard. i really think it was not working right because it did not matter whether i used no overlap or overlap, or removed overlaps etc. it works now. But now I may get the new 27" iMac 8 gig ram etc - and it has snow leopard. But I'm going to get it anyways. Thanks for all your help. peace - alex
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Alex. Hope the new iMac with Snow Leopard doesn't reproduce the same issue. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: