macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Express
    Re: Buying Logic 9 But New to Logi...
    Hmmm yeah Im sure it is better to buy Pro over Express just I was thinking that cos Ive got alot to learn with this software am I going in over my head with Pro as apposed to Express...But you make a good point! Does anyone know if Pro 9 comes with Melodyne?? Someone showed me a demo of it and I was quite impressed with it as perfect vocals are vital for then I read somewhere that Pro 9 was to come with this maybe???
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey, I agree with Bj, in terms of value for money, Logic Pro (Logic Studio) is a very good deal if you only include the extra loops and sounds and a few extra effects and instruments that are not included with Logic Express. You also get Waveburner with Logic Studio which is a professional CD Mastering/Burning App. On the other hand it is very possible to make great music in Logic Express, and you can always upgrade to Logic Studio later. I believe there isn't a cost difference if you decide to upgrade later as opposed to buying Studio straight out. Melodyne is a separate app, and a very good one at that. This isn't included in Logic Studio. Since the new Flex Time feature, some (including myself) think in the future Logic will include a similar technology for Flex Pitch. But as yet you would be better buying Melodyne and integrating that into Logic. Another option is Cubase 5 which has Melodyne style pitch correction built-in. There are some free videos about Cubase 5 which you can see here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/cubase5firstlook[/url] Some people prefer Logic, others Cubase. It's an Oranges and Apples thing ;-) Don't mean to confuse the issue, just want to inform you of your choices... Personally, I'm happy with Logic 9! You mention you have already purchased a lot of equipment. If you wish you can list the equipment you've got. If you have Logic 8, then you can still create great music! I know some producers still using Logic 7 and it works for them. I hope I don't come across as a tutorial salesman. I think they do a good job of selling themselves ;-) but I'm more than happy to recommend any to help you in your music making! For example if you want to learn how to make beats in Logic, then I'd recommend the Ultrabeat Unleashed tutorial. Or if you wanted to understand how to use Logic's Sampler, I'd recommend the EXS24 tutorial, etc. Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • Logic Express
    Yea that's what I was thinking about Express Im sure its quite enough but then Il end up wanting to up grade either way and I think mastering is important, as well as compression and Ive read that Pro 9 has good compressor within the package?? Compression, Mastering, Recording Vocals are all things Id particularity like to be educated on as I feel Ive got the talent to write good music but not make it sounds professional and this is down to not knowing how to execute the above tools. Is Cue bass belonging to Apple?? I did consider that and Pro Tools. I think its best to stick with Logic, probably more universal than Cue bass and therefore more help on it?? Plus Im familiar with Logic somewhat. Ok my equipment: 19inch Monitor, M- Audio Fast Track Pro Inter face, Midi Keyboard "Midicontrol 2" from miditech", Extreme Isolation EX-25 Stereo head phones, AKG Perception 220 Mic, Apple Mini Mac OSX Version 10.5.8 1.83 Ghz Intel core 2 Duo 1GB Mem, Then mic stands, pop guards, nice desk :) Bought all of it from Thomanne. All Im missing is Studio Speakers right??? Do I need to buy an external compression unit??? Is there enough Mem on this mac?? No you don't come across as that, I was only messing with you, Im extremely grateful for all your help so far, its the first time since Ive got going that someones understanding where Im coming from so Nope!! I don't know much about loops to be honest, Ive always made up my own beats from scratch....maybe Im missing out but I always have the fear of sounding cheap and plastic if I use them.....but maybe their more than that and Im just being influenced by people commenting on songs saying "Oh thats just loops" nothing creative!! ?? Thanks again Rounik appreciate it Shane
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Shane sounds like you've got most bases covered with your equipment... Sure speakers (called Monitors in the Pro Audio world) will be a good idea. Worth saving up for decent pair... there was a discussion about monitors some time ago. Do use the search forums function and check it out... You dont NEED a hardware compressor. Start using what you've got and concentrate the creative side of things. You can always upgrade your equipment or buy new stuff when you need it and when you have a better understanding of what will suit YOU and improve your music. Yes, more memory = very good idea. The more powerful your computer with the more ram = more tracks and instruments and effects. I'd recommend a minimum of 2GB of Ram... Don't buy direct from Apple unless you win EuroMillions this weekend. I use www.crucial.com for my memory and they make it easy to find the right Ram/Memory for your Mac on the home page. Cubase is by Steinberg. Pro Tools is by Digidesign. Both very big and respected companies in their own right. I use Logic and am more than happy with what I can do... so use whatever floats your boat :) Making beats from scratch is cool, and using loops can be cool. I used to be a real anti-loop snob. But now I do use loops either raw or cut them up and slice things or as inspiration to help me build similar patterns. They can be very useful tools. Did you know that a song by Rhianna, I think (i'm terrible with names), uses an Apple Drum Loop very prominently. Easiest one to recognise by far. But I often hear loops in Ads and films and songs. Sometimes I find it very interesting to hear how they've been used creatively or in a way I wouldn't have imagined using them... I'd definitely suggest jumping in with Logic Pro and the Core Logic 101 tutorial. Then think of the process of creating in this way: Compose/Record - Arrange - Mix - Master Logic 101 IMHO will help you grasp the technical side of doing the first two areas in Logic, then there are Mixing tuts and specific tuts on Instruments and a really good tut on Mastering... But as always you gotta start somewhere, so go with the 101 and then by the end of it and after perhaps reviewing it and playing around with Logic you'll have a better understanding of your next steps. Do watch the free preview videos and let me know if there's any way I can help :) Best Rounik
  • Logic Express
    Not sure which Rhianna song your talking about but I guess your right, my friend actually messes about with loops and comes up with some unique stuff. And Usher's song "In this Club" was a direct loop copy from Garage band, not even altered and Pollow Da Don "Producer just beefed it up but it sounds authentic!! Some guy shows you it on youtube, check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVHvnpoVTGY
  • Logic Express
    Yeah ok so I think Il get Logic Pro 9, 101 tutorial....get familiar "which Im dreading all over again" and also buy extra Ram. I think Il buy the monitors after as Im gonna be smashed and my girl friend is flippin cos Im spending so much!!! But I just pray to God its worth it, in some way!! Obviously I wouldn't waste my money if I wasn't obsessed with music but I see some talent out there like on myspace and its not recognized so that makes me think whats the point plus the music industry is in a bad state, but if your not in you can't win! Thanks for that site as well by the way for the cheaper Ram, I didn't realize Apple woulda been so much dearer!! I'm sure the pray on the likes of me wondering onto their site spending my already dwindled money! When you get CoreAudio freeze is that cos your computer is too slow (not enough Ram) or using Old Logic coupled with low ram?? That song you checked on my myspace has quite a few tracks and it freezes like jack frost! another reason why I can't get the vocals down! I mute most of the tracks and it works a little better! Anyway Il start organizing myself and get onto buying this stuff and hopefully it makes for a more productive, efficient and I can get writing with less stress ease. Thanks again for all the info on this dude! PS: Im presume Logic 9 comes with mastering facilities yeah??
  • Wipavue
    Hi, If I were you, I would buy David Nahmani's book, which takes a different approach to learning Logic than the 101 tutorial (active vs passive, though they complement each other). I believe David's new book isn't out quite yet, but I would check it out. Just do a search for David Nahmani at Amazon, and you'll find it. I am generally not one for effusive praise, but David knows his stuff, his books are well laid out, and the exercises give you hands-on experience straight away. There is also the bonus that, should you choose to get certified as a Logic Trainer down the road, David's book is the only official tutorial for taking that certification test. Cheers, Glenn
  • Logic Express
    hi, Just another quick question: Im recording some audio instrumental tracks and when I play back half way through one track is playing like its out of tune somehow or changed key??? Is this a common problem?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Shane, Sounds like you either have transposed the region (select the region and check the Region Inspector on the left side), or you have a Chord or Transposition Global Track active... Check in the Global Tracks area (above the Track List in the Arrange page). :) Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Shane, In answer to your previous post from a couple of days ago: Increasing the Ram on a machine will help you run more effects and instruments. The speed of the computer and the speed of the hard drive will help you run more tracks... Basically, your Mac Mini may well have a slow hard drive. It might be worth getting an external firewire hard drive which runs at 7200rpm and running your projects from there. But there are so many techniques to helping you run more tracks without core audio overload messages. e.g. Increase I/O Buffer Size (Logic Pro > Preferences [Audio]) Use the Freeze tracks function or bounce the tracks to audio and mute the original tracks and their effects. Share effects: Rather than place one reverb on every track, you may want to consider sending an amount of the signal of those tracks to one Aux track which has One Reverb effect placed on it. There are others.... but you'll find these and more in the Core Logic 101 tutorial. If you don't understand all the above don't worry, it'll start to make sense in time ;-) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: