macProVideo.com
Forums
  • AudioIrony
    Randomiser and sample start - random jump ?
    Hi, I was revisiting March TNT with Rounik's randomiser. What I want to achieve is the ability to control EXS24 "Sample Start" position and randomise it to jump to random positions in a loaded patch or loop. I did a quick test by just assigning sample start as a destination and velocity and source in the modulation section of the EXS24. I then loaded a loop of my own voice counting 1 2 3 4 5 . Anyway, couldn't get it to work as each time the loop was triggered from the keyboard, the sample just played from 1 every time regardless of velocity at which the key was struck. If I played with attack ranges in the ENV section - I could get the sample to start from 2 - but that was about it. I tried assigning the source as LFO2 and leaving the Destination as "Sample Start" and then using a randomiser macro to modulate LFO2. No effect. The manual for EXS24 states that "Sample Start" should, in theory, allow you to re-trigger, for example, a drum loop and have it start at different points in the loop - but I just can't seem to get this working. Any help appreciated. Regards
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Randomiser and sample start - ...
    Hi Audioirony, Let me have a little think about this one. This is a great question and something I would definitely love to be able to do myself as I'm a closet glitch fan. From a brief experiment, Sample Start acts the way you describe. Best Rounik
  • AudioIrony
    Thanks Rounik, appreciate your efforts
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Audioirony, Again after a brief test, splitting the audio file into separate samples may be the easiest way to achieve this. What version of Logic are you running? Logic 9 allows a very quick way to turn an audio file into a Sampler Instrument... :) Rounik
  • AudioIrony
    Thanks again for your efforts Rounik. I do indeed use Logic 9 and have used the region to sampler instrument many times. This does work well for drum beats and regions with defined transients - and it's easy enough to go into the midi editor and randomise the generated midi notes. What I would truly love to achieve is to "blur" longer evolving samples and turn them into little "Glitch clouds". I might try and set this up using Bounce in place, flex markers and then convert to sampler instrument. I was just hoping for a one step, one size fits all solution in the environment. Save as a "Glitch Factory" environment template :) Thanks again
  • Rounik Admin
    Without the ability for the Environment to process Audio / wave samples it's gonna to difficult to do this, other than Steve H's great Generative Music machine. Have you thought about Max/MSP by Cycling74? It's a bit like Logic's Environment but even bigger and some would say better. You can build plugins and stand alone music melding mayhem there. Additionally, there's a few plugins that would be able to glitch up your sounds. Here's a couple to get you going: [url]http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/livecut/[/url] [url]http://www.gleetchplug.com/Gleetchplug/software.html[/url] [url]http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=6[/url] :) Rounik
  • AudioIrony
    Thanks again Rounik. I am aware of the other tools available. I don't use them :) I do use Audio Damage Replicant. I did have varied success by trial and error and a lot of messing about with generated sampler instruments. Looping, reversing and cross fading each little segment and triggering them randomly via midi. Bounce in place is also a god send :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: