macProVideo.com
Forums
  • md
    good or cheep or even better free gate?
    hi to you all... does annyone knows really good gate plug-in? not like this inside logic...(with this i need 20 minutes to get it to work-side chaining is a must) there was great and easy plugin called "FLOORFISH" ... but it is just for PPC.it was even free...i miss it. so, im mixing live music and i need a good gate...help? yours m.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: good or cheep or even better f...
    Hi I remember one called StormGate. It was free. Haven't tested it out on 10.6.1 or in Logic 9... But, I think setting up side chains for Gates in Logic doesn't have to be a long process. What is your process for doing this? Cheers Rounik
  • md
    hi ... i have to duplicate the channel and set it back for about 80 samples ... which is not a big thing but if you working in 24/96 and have a lot of processes going on ... i dont wanna risk with any unnecessary load... another thing ... i takes time to figure out the right setting ... it changes since its a live record and logics gate is very sensitive and i was not able to set it easily thrue the whole session... these projects are kind of live demos and i dont wanna spend a lot of time on this ... hmm(i know) but if i dont use any gates the mixes just dont work...so it is a stupid little plug but very important to me... about gate ... if i use gate but have to check every beat or action that gate does(i mean every) it is more seceure to do it by hand...kinda heh ... BTW im on osx 4.11 logic 8 ... 2.66 quad 6 gig ram ... jesus !!! i asked for help regarding simple gate??? stormgate is a sekvencer for a gate!!! simple...NOT but interesting...thx ;-)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi md, I'm afraid I still don't understand why using Logic's Noise Gate is not suitable? Well, it's not important if I understand - it obviously is not suitable for your needs. I don't use any 3rd party Gate plugins - so not sure I can help you on this. :) Rounik
  • md
    maybe it is me??? i just cant get it to work right... for example: the difference in surrounding noise(music) and the vocal which im gating is about 5-10 db but (usually thats enough), the logics gate is being trrigered annyway, even the wave of the recording "sees" big difference between the voice and the band... slight touch on the treshhold slider and it doesnt work or its to soft or too hard i just cant get it to work right...damn. do you use gate for studio records or live? maybe im stupid...i dunno... or i need 101 on logics gate???
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi md, I don't tend to use the Noise gate in live situations... It may be important to make sure the signal you want to maintain e.g. Vocals doesn't have a very large dynamic range. You can solve this by compressing the signal before applying the noise gate. Can you explain what you want to achieve in more detail? Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: