macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Which effect(s) should i use?
    Which Effect to use?
    I am looking at taking a sample (a stab) and creating an electro- stretching/stuttering sound that lasts a few beats. Does anyone know how i would accomplish this? Thanks for any help.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Which Effect to use?
    Hi & welcome to macProVideo forums :) There are some third party plugins that can produce stuttering effects. For example check out Audio Damage's Replicant. However, it may be easier to use editing tools in Logic to achieve the exact effect you want. You can time stretch the audio region (Hold down Option and drag the right boundary of the region to do this). Then slice up the region using the scissors or double clicking with the marquee tool. One way to slice a region into equal segments: Use the Scissors tool and hold down Option and click at the first division or bar. Equal segments will then be cut in the region. A lot of glitch artists do use plugins and many other simply cut, copy, paste, shorten/stretch a region to achieve this in the Arrange. It is a manual process but gives you a lot of control. Hope that helps, Rounik
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try your ideas.
  • Rounik Admin
    Do let me know if this works for you or if you find any other tips you wish to share :) Rounik
    Its a bit time consuming of course, but your ideas worked. I also found a plugin called glitch vst. I'm going to try it this weekend on a pc. http://missingtoof.com/2007/03/08/glitch-v1304-vst/
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, I've heard of Glitch.... but never used it as it's PC only :( Check out Live Cut: [url]http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/livecut/[/url] You might like this. :) Rounik
  • Tim
    Hi, I'm a huge fan of the videos and have learnt a heap from them - thank you again for supplying such a great product. Just in regards to the stutter effect - (I'm using Logic Pro 9) I sort of understand the process you mentioned - haven't tried it yet but am about to on a track. In this case I want to use the stutter effect on one word - 'crying' which I want to make sound like 'cr-cr-cr-cr-cr-cr-cr-ying'. (the amount of 'cr's I'm not sure of yet) The vocalist has already recorded the vocal and that word is in normal time - what is the best way to ensure that the new stutter fits in with the beat and replaces that original word ('crying') exactly, so it doesn't sound out of time - is this where the timestretching comes into it? I'm just a little concerned about getting it all to fit nicely without it sounding out of pitch, key or time. Cheers in advance, Tim
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Tim, Welcome to the forums! I'd cut out the word crying and cut a new region with the "cr". Now position the 'cr' region on the beat or bar. Depending on the length of the region either loop it or use the Repeat (Command-R) function to repeat it x number of times. You can use Flex to adjust the length of the 'cr' regions to avoid any gaps without pitch shifting the vocals and then position the '(cr)ying' region at the end of the 'cr' regions. Should work out. Let me know if you need any more help. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: