macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Echosoundman
    Basic Destructive Editing Question
    Hello, In the Core Logic tutorial video (Chapter 1, Section 2, Video 27), Martin is describing destructive editing in the sample editor. That scares me as a newbie :0 So my question is this: After placing external audio files/loops into my project from their original locals on my HD and then saving the project with "copying ext. aud. to project folder enabled", if I then begin to edit them in the sample editor, will this now destructively affect the original files on my HD or only the copies saved in the project's folder? If someone can help me with this, thanks. Josh
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Basic Destructive Editing Ques...
    Hi Josh, I understand why the idea of destructive editing might seem daunting at first... but with a little care all should be well :) So you have the original file on your HD. You import the file into Logic and save the project with "copying ext. aud. to project folder enabled". Now if you make a destructive edit to the audio file in the Sample Editor it will ONLY affect the file in the Project Folder. The original file on your HD will remain untouched. The Sample Editor has an undo history and the ability to save a backup/selection of the file - these can be good safety nets. Try the following to see how destructive editing works: 1. Import an audio file from your HD into a new Project. 2. Save the project with "copying ext. aud. to project folder enabled". 3. Open the Sample Editor and reverse the audio file. (Functions > Reverse) 4. Switch to the Finder. Go to the location of the Logic project/Audio files folder and preview the file (select it and press Spacebar). It should play back reversed. 5. Navigate to the original file's location and preview the file. It should play back normally. 6. Back in Logic in the Sample Editor select Edit > Undo and repeat the preview examples in steps 4 and 5 above. BTW, the Undo history for the sample editor will not be available if you close and re-open the project! Hope that helps, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: