macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JulianM
    Assigning knobs and buttons to stompboxes
    Not sure if this might have been covered in some of the TNT tutorials - well not stompboxes specifically as I think they came later, but the core understanding that would allow me to do this. I can easily use MIDI learn to set things up temporarily, but this doesn't seem to "stick" - change something and it loses the assignment. I'm not clear on what the limitations are and what's even possible when you know what you're doing! I have an Edirol PCR300. Is there a tutorial in the TNT series I need to watch? I have pretty much everything else but maybe I missed this being covered? Either way perhaps someone could point me at the right tutorial or help me out with some pointers if it's not covered. I think that makes sense? Learning about Midi controllers and head colds don't really go well together! cheers Julian
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Assigning knobs and buttons to...
    Hi Julian, I agree this would be a great topic for a tutorial, guess it would be interesting to have a tut on setting up a Control Surface too... : o) Rounik
  • Bj
    Hi Guys, Couldn't agree more... Cheers, Bj
  • JulianM
    OK well I guess it's good to confirm that there isn't one that I've missed/skipped! Easily done given how many hours of MacProVideo tutorials I now have!! In the meantime maybe someone can tell me if something is theoretically possible? The idea is to assign controls (probably 4 rotary knobs and an on off button) to a stompbox and then press another pair of buttons and have the controllers control the next/previous stompbox on the pedalboard. One problem I foresee is that different stompboxes have different numbers of knobs - I'll be exploring further, but I'd appreciate it if someone knows this isn't possible in Logic and can save me wasting time. Also, presumably this CAN be done in Mainstage? Again I need to explore more, but getting this working in Logic (9) is my priority. cheers
  • JulianM
    would really like some help on this . . . bump!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Julian, What you're talking about is an Automap feature... AFAIK this isn't possible with the Edirol controller you have. You'll need to map the controls to each knob / On-OFF button per stomp box. The same is true in Mainstage 2 (which makes it really easy to build your own instruments using multiple effects and instruments and map them to screen controls and then to hardware controls. BTW, I don't have disappearing Controller Assignments. Once I assign a hardware control to a Stomp Box control it "sticks" and will always control that stomp box... For example if I assign a knob on my Oxygen 8 to say the 'Time' on the Blue Echo (first pedal) on CS 1 and then select CS 2 which also has a pedal board insert, and I move the knob, it will change a parameter on the first pedal on CS 2. I can make sure it ONLY controls The Time param on CS1 by choosing the Class in Controller Assignments to relate to a specific channel strip only. Leaving Class on SI or Audio or Bus etc will control a param on the first slot of the currently selected Channel Strip. Hope that helps, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: