macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wyperyo
    midi control prob. with ultrabeat
    Hi there Rounik I've been gaining some fantastic tips from this forum but I was hoping you can offer me some advise to a problem I have with ultrabeat (I'm still using logic 8).I'd like to use logic and ultrabeat in a live mixing environment wherby 2 or more ultarbeats will be played at once. I'm trying to use my oxygen 8 controller to work the various chan. eq filters in this instance I'm trying to use the oxygen 8's top 4 rotaries to work for low pass and high pass filters on one of the ultrabeats and the lower 4 rotaries of the oxygen 8 to function these same controls on another ultrabeat so that I can manipulate the filters of both ultrabeats at the same time in different ways (hope this makes sense!). The problem I'm getting is when I assign midi controls they seem to only work globally sorry if i'm missing something really obvious here still very much at the learning stage with logic. Thanks for any assistance
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: midi control prob. with ultrab...
    Hi Ioan! Welcome to the forums mate :) In the Controller Assignments Window learn say the hi pass for UB 1 and then set it's Class as Channel Strip and Channel Strip as Index. Then assign it a number according to CHannel strip number it is. Do the same for the 2nd UB channel. This time the Index number should be different. btw, I don't think it's obvious. I wish the Controller Assignments window was a little more accessible! Ioan, have you checked out Mainstage for live performance? Once you get your head around how to create controls and set them up, it's much easier to to create screen controls and map them to your hardware controls... :) Rounik
  • Wyperyo
    HI Rounik, Thanks for the quick reply. Mainstage is definatelly on my list of things to take a closer look at. I had previously got as far as your suggestion in the controller assign. window working on a LP filter from the channel eq, with class set as channel strip and channel strip set as index and with UB1 (which is based on the first channel strip) set index as 1 and on UB2 (which is based on the second channel strip) set index at 2 but when I do this I get a dialogue box "control already assigned to another parameter, do you want to reassign control" and am given the options keep both or reassign. When I click keep both I find that regardless of which knob I turn (the first assigned knob which was to work UB1 or second assigned knob which was to controll UB2) on the oxygen 8 it acts as a Lp filter on both ultrabeats and I'm unable to work them independently. HELP PLEASE! In know I'm missing something glaring ly obvious.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Ioan, Out of interest, are you controlling the EQ Filters within UB or a Channel EQ placed on the UB Channel Strips? I find the later will give you more precise control. I have found using the Controller Assignments to sometimes be a hair pulling experience. So, what I normally do is start from scratch. Probably not what you want to hear, but in Advanced mode I delete the modes and/or parameters in question. One observation I do have is to either reassign in that scenario or make sure the control for the 'other' parameter is set to Index with a different number. Does this help? Rounik
  • Wyperyo
    Nice one. I deleted the entrire controller settings and started the whole mapping process from scratch again and magically it all seems to work? Not sure what went wrong first time. Anyway all working now cheers mate
  • Rounik Admin
    Sometimes if you have already assigned a hardware control to a parameter or vice versa and wish to setup a different assignment things can get funny. The Controller Assignments area of Logic could be a lot better IMHO. Something like Mainstage for assigning controls would be great! :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: