macProVideo.com
Forums
  • David T
    Sample rate batch change
    Hi Steve / Gang. I am working on a filmscore - which i originally wrote a song for at [b]44.1khz[/b] (their choice!). Now i have got the gig for writing the rest of the score - at [b]48khz. [/b] I need to import all of the stems into the new project - without any artifacts of sample rate conflict. Is there a way of [b]batch converting[/b] all of the stems from one project originally at 44.1 to 48khz files for another project (either in Logic or STP)? I've never used STP - to my shame, but I haven't really ever tried a batch sample rate conversion. Can anyone suggest the quickest workflow for me? Thanks to all! Best David T
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Sample rate batch change
    Hi David, So the stems are 44.1 and the Logic project is set to 48? No problem. Drag them 44.1 files from the Finder into the Bin. Logic will ask if you wish to change the project's sample rate to 44.1. In your case choose 'No'. Logic will then automatically import the files and perform sample rate conversions on each file. :) Rounik
  • David T
    Hi Rounik. Well - that's what i've done for years and years, and what i would have answered myself to this question. Only problem is Logic is not asking me the question - If i drag and drop it's just importing the files and not converting them - so they are playing at the wrong speed! I've had to export at the right sample rate first... takes too long. Obviously there can only be one sample rate in one project, so i should say that it is changing the files when dragging and dropping, but it's changing pitch and speed as well as sample rate via this method. I've never had this issue before. Any thoughts? David
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi David, I just double checked this on Logic 9 before replying.... it works fine here when I drag and drop them into a new project... Try doing this in a new project... What version of Logic and OSX are you using? If it still does not work, then in the Audio Bin select all the files you wish to convert and choose: Audio File > Copy and Convert Files... In the Convert files dialogue window you can set a new sample rate for the files etc and maintain the links with any regions in the Arrange area. :) Rounik
  • David T
    I'm on the latest OSX and the latest logic. In a new project it seems fine. It must be a setting of the filmscore project, but I just can't figure out which setting! I have found that i have to use a different process from my usual one in this instance. This worked: Convert the files in the original song (after making a copy) and saying "don't update reference in new project" If i import the files at 44.1k by dragging and dropping, it isn't asking me in this project. Using add files from audio bin, or import audio from file menu seems to work. It's just an odd setting somewhere, but I don't know what causes it! Anyway - I assume that the best batch conversion is the import window and then just select the sample rate in that dialogue - unless there's a better way? David
  • Rounik Admin
    [i]Anyway - I assume that the best batch conversion is the import window and then just select the sample rate in that dialogue - unless there's a better way?[/i] The way I detailed above (or using the Import menu, etc) should bring about the same results in terms of Logic's sample rate conversion. Perhaps the issue is because you already had 44.1 files within the project... so when you changed the project's sample rate to 48 and imported 44.1 files in, Logic doesn't give you the option to convert them? If so, then this might be have been overlooked by the Logic team... :) Rounik
  • David T
    Yes, i think that's exactly the issue. I think the project was originally 44.1.... I changed it and then imported 44.1 files in and it just accepted them with no change. If i convert them within the project after that it changes pitch and tempo as you would see with a conflict. As you say, the team might have missed this one! Oh well... I'll go back to the first song and convert them there (without changing the references in that song) and then import the converted files. What a pain... Thanks again Rounik! It seemed such a simple issue and yet still caused half an afternoon's backtracking!!! :-)) David
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: