macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Futant Mutant
    Apply effects to individual audio regions
    Is it possible to apply effects to individual audio regions in Logic 9? This is possible in Cubase since v2.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Apply effects to individual au...
    Hi Futant, Logic just doesn't work that way. You can change the gain of individual regions in the Region Inspector. But for effects you need to either automate the insert effect on the channel or place the effect on a Bus and send to it from the channel and automate the send level or cut the region and place it on it's own track. You can however, place effects directly to parts of an audio file in STP. If you're working with audio then consider opening the audio file in STP (you can do this within Logic) and applying the desired effects to selected area(s) of the file. Steve H showed this technique is a previous TNT video. Cheers Rounik
  • Futant Mutant
    Thanks for the reply Rounik. I forgot about using STP! I just checked the Steve H tip about it - awesome! Quick question about that - in the tutorial Steve H quits STP and the region in Logic has been changed. Is it better to do this every time or can I just keep STP open if I want to keep working like this on many regions? - if so how do I change it so it updates in Logic without quitting STP? Also, the gain in the inspector only changes by 1db increments. I read something about achieving a similar thing in automation by Options > Track Automation > Create 4 nodes at region border. This creates two nodes at each end of the selection area. I read in another forum that doing this allows for "After having used the 4-node command on a region, Logic will let you edit the volume of the region with one click". Kow anything about this? Just wish Logic had nuendo style region volume handles.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Futant, Yes, I believe that you only need to save in STP and it updates in Logic... However, I do remember there was an issue with Logic 8.0.2 and STP2 - where this was slightly broken... Haven't tested this in STP3 yet. YEs, indeed. This is one of my favourite tips for creating automation. Draw a marquee area and choose Options > Track Automation > Create 4 nodes at region border (You can assign this to a key command) So you select the area (using Marquee tool) or simply selecting it with the Pointer tool and use your key command to create 2 nodes at region border (it creates 2 per border). Now drag the automation line down/up to adjust. Yes, region volume handles would be a very cool addition! :) Rounik
  • steveH
    Logic 9 has region volume adjustments in the region parameter box!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Steve, Indeed it does - a very useful addition. We mentioned it above. However, although it can be opened as a Region Inspector Float it's not as convenient in some cases as graphically dragging a handle on the region itself... Also, you can only adjust the region gain in 1dB increments :(
  • Futant Mutant
    Thanks for the replies and help!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: