macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rc
    stereo bass
    Hi guys.,I have been learning how to mix the perfect record using logic pro and a few outboard gears .I have been enjoying the mixing tutorials.and I have noticed that all the instruments used are in stereo.is the bass instrument especially the hip hop lows end done in stereo or mono? many thanks..
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: stereo bass
    Hi Rc, Thanks & welcome to the forums! I'm not certain - but I suspect the Bass was originally recorded in mono - usually the Bass is mono and panned dead centre. Thanks Rounik
  • Rc
    thanks Rounik that's what i suspected, its just the mixing tutorials threw me off a bit.as everything was in stereo.but its getting even stranger nowadays I have been listening to some new hip hop stuff and drums have been panned hard right and hard left.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Rc, What elements of the drum kit were panned hard left/right? It's normal to find toms and other percussive elements panned, but in general the lowest frequencies, like Kick drum and Bass guitar will be centred. :)
  • Rc
    actually its the kik's one of them is on the new 50cent album Before I Self Destruct a track Could've Been You (Feat. R. Kelly) there is also another one that I have noticed on a timbaland produced track How Does It Feel by Keri Hilson from In a Perfect World album.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Rc, I found the Keri Hilson track on Spotify and after a brief listen I see what you mean. All I can say is that rules and conventions in music are there to be bent, broken and redefined. I haven't analysed the track... but would be interesting to see/hear if there is still a lot of bass frequency panned centred in the mix. :) R
  • Rc
    Thanks for taking time to look into it.really appreciate it. I think the main thing is to follow what I hear.what i find disappointing with logic is when I want to output a mono signal I have to pan it hard right or left.as opposed to programs like digital performer where I can just simply out put a mono signal.but logic sounds better though. I am logic 8 but I am still pondering if its worth going on logic 9. R.c
  • Rounik Admin
    Yeah, definitely, use your ears ;-) They are the best judge for what sounds good! You know you can create a mono file in Logic. Here's a quick - though not as convenient way as DP : - Create a send on the Bass to say, Bus 10. A new Aux (with Bus 10 as input) is created n the Mixer. - Create a new Audio Track. Set the Input for the audio channel as Bus 10. Record enable the new Audio Track and record the bass part in mono. A new mono recorded file of the Bass will be added to your Bin :) Rounik
  • Rc
    cool thanks I try that next time I am in the studio, my current setup is logic 8 out through motu 828 to mackie d8b,when I output a channel if i want it to come off a single channel on the console I have to pan it hard left or hard right on logic.otherwise I end up with two channels of bass coming through the console although panned on the center. do I need two channels panned on the center or just a single channel for the bass?
  • Rounik Admin
    at the bottom of the audio channel strip is a symbol. Click hold and choose Mono. I think this should work in Logic 8. Let me know if it does... or doesn't ;-) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: