macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieInNC
    CPU and HD pegged all white...
    Hi folks! I posted this over on the Apple board for Logic Pro and never got an answer so I'll repost it here. Perhaps someone here had the same experience... After taking a relatively small, 4-bar sample and trying to bounce it in place, I noticed that the CPU and HD meters pegged to the right, while the playhead and marker line looped over and over. I essentially had to force quit Logic after 15 seconds or so of quick problem assessment, which obviously was useless. Somewhere along the line I lost about 20 GB of space on my hard drive, which I am sure is the result of this issue. I had looked at the space available prior to this problem and it ended up being much BELOW where it had been just moments before. I have no idea where the space on the HD went (or what might be occupying it), nor what caused the CPU to spike. Anyone have any ideas? Not sure if it created a huge file worth 20 GB or so and where it might have been stored. Thanks in advance!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: CPU and HD pegged all white......
    Hi Jamie, The first thing I would do is check inside the project folder. Logic should be recording audio / bouncing audio inside the project folder unless you asked it to bounce somewhere else. Did this happen using Logic 9.0.2? Which version of OSX? Next I'd try repairing permissions from the following thread: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] After this is complete restart your Mac. Has the 'missing' 20GB reappeared? If this happened recently, e.g. today, yesterday, within the past week, then it's relatively easy to use the Smart folders in a Finder windows sidebar to locate files created within these criteria... Can you find it? :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Yes Rounik, I am running Logic 9.0.2 and I have Snow Leopard. I searched through the folders under "Music" where my projects go, but nothing. I swear I had a bunch of space lost, because my CPU and HD meters went CRAZY. I did a full install of Logic and prior to that I had about 293 GB of space. I am now running 225 GB of space after the install of logic a month ago or so. Now, reserving about 48 GB for logic after a full install, that would result in 245 GB of space, there is an obvious 20 GB that isn't quite accounted for, and I have installed nothing of that size on my HD since Logic. I have a 1TB Time Capsule serving as my backup HD and router, so space isn't an issue so much, but it just bothers me that for the past couple of weeks or so since it happened, I can't seem to find that missing space. Darn thing is worse than my checkbook balancing... I tried the permissions repairing, but that didn't seem to find the problem, though it did clear a heck of a number of files or whatever from safari. I'm going to search through files using your suggestion and see what comes up. At this point I'm not even sure if I bounced in place. I know I did some kind of bounce and the result was a CPU at full blast. I'll search further and get back to you. Thanks for the help! Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jamie, When working with digital audio or video (or both!) you can find that space gets eaten up quite rapidly. I obviously don't know how productive you've been in terms of recording ;-) but if you've been recording and bouncing and backing up lots of projects, well, 20GB in a month is possible! Why not have a look in your Logic Projects folder. Select it in the Finder and press Command-I (Get Info) and you'll see the size of the enclosed folders. I'm not discounting that something odd has happened... but I've not heard of Logic eating up disk space before. Do let me know how you get on :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Holy Cow... OK, after a couple of hours searching this afternoon. I believe I have found the culprit. I just want to check with you to see if this is the strangest thing you've ever seen or what! So, in my Application Support>Logic>Audio Files, I happen to have (don't laugh at me please...) a 2 second .aif file that is 15GB large! It is named Audio-Bus064.aif, and it was created on 10/23, which was about the time I happened to experience this mishap. Audio channels: 2, and a bit rate of 2,822,400. Opens with iTunes. Is this what I am looking for? How did it get there and why is 2 seconds of audio now worth 15 GB of space? Jesus wept...
  • Rounik Admin
    Crikey! That's the ticket. Interesting sample rate. If anyone ever boasts to you that they use a sample rate of 192KHz you've got a great come back line now ;-) Well, I'm curious, does this 2 second audio file have any audio data (sound) in it? Either way, I would delete the file after taking a screen shot of it for posterity's sake and do a repair permissions once more. Did you save your project before bouncing the audio file? It's kind of bizarre that this has happened. In context, I've been a hardcore Logic user for some 8 years and a Logic trainer and consultant for 3 and never come across this. Sure this doesn't make you feel better but... Anyway, I can only imagine that a lot of odd metadata and 1's and 0's have been written to this file in error rather than real audio information. Hopefully this is a one-off. Can I ask if you have all the latest updates for OSX and Logic and the pro app kit through Software Update? Thanks Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Rounik, Nope, nothing but a little blip and then it's done. I purposefully left the headphones off my ears during testing so if it was not healthy in any way, I wouldn't end up like Pete Townshend Post-Smother's Brother's explosion. I did not save my project, either. I've only been using the program for a little bit and have only begun projects for the sole purpose of testing out a lot of the tips I'm getting here. I'm hoping it's a one-time deal too, and I'm not bothered at all by it happening. (Love Apple Care!) I've been a musician and teacher too long to think I have seen it all. I learn/see something new every day and I've performed a heck of a lot of classical repertoire as a pianist. And yes, I do have all the updates for Logic and Snow Leopard. I check every few days for things just in case. Here's the screen shot of the finder information. Funny as hell now that I think of it. [img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8785/15gbaudiofile.jpg[/img]
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Jamie for posting the screenshot. Indeed, in Logic, as with any subject I've taught in the past, there's always something new to learn. Especially when it comes to troubleshooting. I would recommend that you always save the project first before bouncing. This way Logic knows where to place the audio recording and it will be easy to find it in the future (in the Audio folder within the specific project folder). Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: