macProVideo.com
Forums
  • chad
    logic panning
    I am having trouble getting each track to fully pan. I have even tried the dire mixer and I still have the instruments in both sides. I am using both midi and real instruments.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: logic panning
    Hello Chad & welcome to the forums! Sounds strange... so you've adjusted the balance / pan knob full to the left (-64) and full to the right (+63) and sound is coming out of the other side in the channel strip? Does the level meter show sound coming from the other side (left/right channel)? Have you switched to built in audio or used headphones to monitor the sound? What audio interface and version of OSX and Logic are you running? Have you checked your AudioMIDI setup application in Applications/Utilities ? Cheers Rounik
  • chad
    Yes the meter shows sound coming out both sides one more than the other. I have used headphones and can hear the problem still. I am using Logic 08, Snow Leopard, and Apogee Interface. I have not checked the Audio Midi setup. What would I be looking to change? I must be doing something wrong.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Chad, First, let's check a few things. Are any of the Channel Strips in this project Surround 5.1 as opposed to stereo or Mono? If you disconnect your Apogee (Duet?) and/or switch to using built-in audio output do you experience the same panning behaviour? Do you get the same behviour in a brand new project using say any audio or SI channel strip? Are you definitely panning the channel HARD left/right? Cheers Rounik
  • chad
    the channel strips are stereo. The sound is less in which ever side you pan but still audible. we use one side for a click and the other side for the music. It does the same thing using internal audio or the duet. I get this problem with every project I have done. I recently found the directional mixer and thought that would do the trick but I am still getting the same problem. I appreciate your help very much.
  • Rounik Admin
    hmmm... I have a few ideas. Would you mind creating a simple project where this issue occurs and uploading it for me to take a look.. or a listen? I'd suggest compressing the project folder (control-click on the folder and select 'Compress') then use a file upload service like www.sendspace.com (free) and post the URL here. If you'd prefer not to do this, let me know and we can continue troubleshooting via this thread. Cheers Rounik
  • chad
    Here is the link and a project I was working onhttp://www.sendspace.com/file/cnndcd The click at the beginning should be only on the left. The click channel shows it only on the left but when it is played the out 1 and 2 show it going out both channels. more out of the left channel but still out both channels. Thanks for your help.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Chad, Thanks for uploading the project. I just listened to it and I think I've found the issue. Yes, the sound is only on the left channel on the click track and is present slightly in the right channel on Output 1-2. I found the issue by bypassing all plugins on the output channel to see where in the signal chain things were going weird. (This is a good troubleshooting tip ;) By unbypassing a plugin one at a time I found that on Output 1-2 you had a Direction Mixer with a spread set to 1.5. This essentially blurs the spread slightly... so if you reset it to 1.0 everything should sound as you want it! :) Rounik
  • chad
    Rounik thank you so much. You have done it. I have been fighting this problem for a very long time. This help and and the help of the tutorials are priceless. I appreciate all of the time and attention you spent on my problem. I will be telling all of my friends about this. Chad
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Chad, Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate them very much! Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: