macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieInNC
    Ultrabeat question...
    Without going into the details of what I'm trying to do (since I'd have no idea where to begin my explanation!) I'm wondering if there is any way to automate the "voice mute mode" switch on and off from the arrange window automation. I see just about every other command for the 25 voices, but no way to activate that one thing.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Ultrabeat question...
    Hi Jamie, This is a good point. I don't believe that the Voice Mute Mode button can be automated. If we know a little more about what you want to achieve perhaps we can create a workaround solution? :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Sheesh, Rounik! Either you're up way too late, or I'm up too early! Here's what I'm trying to do: I'm going through many of the tutorials and have written a short song using most of the techniques I've learned from those tutorials. The problem I'm having is with Ultrabeat. I'm trying to randomize the voice mute buttons of tracks within a specific preset similar to the way Steve did in #57-59. Now, I have routed each track from within UB to different tracks in the mixer so different effects could be easily applied. Basic stuff. When I go to the environment, add a monitor and transformer (randomizer) and then link midi data to the UB track, I get a weird effect. The midi data (c1-c3) is activating the mutes for the tracks that are NOT routed just fine, but the tracks that actually are sounding are muting on/off very quickly, allowing only one or two HH or snare hits to get through. Does it have something to do with the fact that I routed all the sounds from the interior of UN to different tracks in the mixer? I assume I'm going to have to apply the transformer and separate randomizers to EACH track of my drum beat in the environment itself. I hope this explanation helps explain my problem well enough. I woke up early because I can't seem to figure it out. It's been bothering me. Oh, and by the way Rounik. Do you guys provide critiques to newbies if we send you our songs? How would I go about getting your input on the techniques I'm using?
  • JamieInNC
    Oh, and in addition, I want to be able to randomize the mute buttons at a specific point in the song on the same track to be turned off again when I'm finished with it. When the voice mute button is on all the time, the effect I described above happens throughout the entire song. In essence, I lose all my drums. I've thought about starting another track with a very similar beat within the same preset, but I'd have to route each track again and then copy/paste channel strip settings from the OTHER beat so it isn't different in timbre. If the same sound in another UB preset track is being used, can it be routed to the same strip within the mixer that is already occupied by the other UB machine?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jamie, now I'm up normal time. It must be you that was up at a weird hour ;-) If you place the mouse cursor over the little icon on the left of the posters alias (top of each post) you'll see info about the poster. (I'm based in the UK ;) Anyways, back to your UB request. Sorry to know it's being a hinderance to your sleeping pattern! I'm going to have to spend a little time to see how to make this possible. It's unfortunate that the Note Mute mode cannot be automated and does not produce any Fader information in the Environment :( There will be another way... albeit more laborious... I'll take a look as soon as I can give it some time :) Thanks! Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    I should have guessed that you were in the UK after watching your Randomizer tutorial! I am going to do the same, meaning I will try to figure out a way around this issue, as well. I might not be able to find something as quickly as you can but it would be some nice mental floss now that the house is clean and ready for Turkey tomorrow. If I find anything I'll be sure to post! Thanks for your time! Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jamie, Glad to know someone has watched the randomizer tutorial - hope you found it useful :) Indeed, I am here across the pond. No Thanksgiving for us :( I'm not sure that I'll win the race to get the environment up before you - a bit tied up with a few different projects at the moment... but here are a few things I'd like to share to hopefully help: - UB's Mute Mode does NOT respond to MIDI input :( (you knew that already of course!) - The Voice Mute and Solo buttons also DON'T respond to Fader inputs :( - Possible Workaround: Route all the desired voices to Aux channels in the Mixer. In the Environment Create buttons/faders that can toggle the mute buttons for the Aux channels on/off. I believe this would be Fader Ch:1 Para:9 Val: 1 or 0 (Do check this using a Monitor) Cable each buttons to it's respective Aux channel and name each Button (we don't want to confuse Igor after all ;) Now create a Transformer and cable it to all the buttons. Set it up similar to in my Randomizer tutorial. Here's a neat idea, set the input for each button to a note (so you can control it using a MIDI Keyboard. e.g. Button 1 controls the Kick and it's input is C1, Button 2 controls the Snare and it's input is C#1 etc. Now create a track using the transformer as the input or a monitor or whatever you want that connects to the Transformer. Oh, make sure the Tranformer operations randomizes the correct note range and velocity between 1 and 0. You can set the conditions of the randomizer to respond to a different range of notes than the buttons (or even a single note, e.g. C-1) You can either add a MIDI region to the arrange or use your MIDI keyboard to randomly and/or manually mute different Aux channels. Excuse me if I;ve forgotten something, I'm not near Logic right now, but think something along these lines should work... Happy Thanksgiving :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    [img]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1852/screenshot20091127at110.png[/img] Thanks Rounik! I built something very similar in the environment that I couldn't get to work, but your input helped me clean up my mistakes a bit. In the image above, I showed how I set up the system per your tips. Now, I can get the mutes to turn ON and read the input from a track, but I am not able to have the mutes actually turn OFF randomly through the transformer. During operation, I can see the channel numbers shifting in the monitor, but the "1" remains constant. I never see a "0" unless I physically turn off the mute button on the strip itself. Moments later, the track will mute as expected. When I double-click the randomizer, I have the status set to Note>thru, the channel set to "all," the pitch set to "all" random>c1-g1 and the velocity set to "all," random>0 and 1. The only thing I need to fix is the problem that allows "0" to be considered a viable option to the transformer. Any clues?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jamie, Your Environment looks great! I usually solve the mute off issue by setting the transformer status velocity set to unequal 0. This solves the note off issue... Is that what you mean? Anyway, I had a few bugs in my version. For some unknown reason, a glitch on my system meant randomizing a note from any input would not work... spooky. So I made a slightly laboured work around. Here it is: [img]http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8811/picture2pg.png[/img] There's two sections. The Keyboard is the MIDI Event trigger track, so either play live on that track or place a MIDI region on the track. There is a cable switcher button to switch between Channel mute mode functionality (C1 to G#1 for Aux 1 to 10) and Random Channel Mute Mode (Any MIDI Note will be randomized to mute on /off. The Monitors are just to help solve any issues and the little Apple button is there is toggle mute all channels. Finally we have the actual mute buttons per channel strip. Do open up all the macros and have a look inside as settings can be changed there. You can download the Environment here: [url]http://www.sendspace.com/file/y2jell[/url] :o) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Thank you so much, Rounik! Of course, I unpacked your macros and saw immediately that your system is WAY more complicated than the one I tried to build around this issue. I'm going to spend a few hours dissecting what your have done (which, by the way does exactly what I am trying to achieve) and then apply your logic to mine. I think the "glitch" you mention is the issue standing in my way. At first, I thought it was strange that my monitor was showing SOMETHING flowing, and that the fact that each mute button had a different channel (2-9) in the monitor itself aligned with parameter "9" and velocity "1," yet the channels in the button inspector displayed "1" for the input and output of each button itself. So I naturally tried to manually align the channels, to no avail. The "note-off" event seems to make no change in the MIDI flow as yet, but I'll cross that bridge then if it ever presents a problem. Thank you so much for taking the time to show me your interpretation! I have only had the program for about a month and a half with no previous experience with any DAW, so I think I'm doing fine. I realize, however, that the environment is the area that presents the steepest learning curve for me, which also happens to be where the most interesting manipulation of music takes place! (Figures, doesn't it?) I'll work for a few hours on this and get back to you! Jamie
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: