macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Gorynui
    core distribution questions
    Hi there. I occasionally get a system overload message when running Logic 8 on my 2.8 GHz quad-core (4 GB RAM; 10.5.8). On tonight's project, I have 9 SI (7 Logic instruments; 2 Omnisphere, but not hefty ones) tracks, each with one or two plug-ins, but nothing that should be bogging me down. And the point where it stops has only 3 tracks with active regions. When it does stop, I see that one of the 4 cores is tapped out, while the others show no activity. Doesn't Logic share the load between them, or do I need to tell it to do so?
  • Gorynui
    Re: core distribution questions
    As an aside, what's an FFT-based effect? I saw this in the manual...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sammy, Apple have a newish document on their site explaining memory management in Logic 9, which may help explain your issue: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3919[/url] FFT I believe stands for Fast Fourier Transform algorithm: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Fourier_transform[/url] :) Rounik
  • Gorynui
    Thanks for the links. I don't see an answer to my specific question in that first document, at least not about the individual cores and the way they work together (or not). I'll keep digging...
  • Rounik Admin
    I should add that Logic should automatically distribute across the cores. But during this transition from Logic 8 to 9, Leopard to Snow Leopard and the inevitable 32bit to 64bit, I'm hopeful that Logic will become more efficient in this area and really take advantage of multi-cores. I love Omnisphere... but it can be fairly heavy at times. Best Rounik
  • Gorynui
    I've checked on some other CPU heavy projects, and I think the issue might be something specific to this particular one. I noticed it takes quite a bit longer to open than most as well. And my theory that only one core might be functioning was quickly shot down... I'll do a Save As and hopefully salvage this piece. Thanks again.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: