macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bubadua
    hardware
    Hi all i have been learning Logic using mainly Midi and it's now time for me to learn to use audio... i want to plug a guitar straight into Logic using the native plug ins to record or play live also using the plugins...i have seen the Duet Apogee in demonstration ...it's sounds great but i am not sure all the wires dangling freely is a good idea..can anyone suggest a choice of hardware that is of top quality and versatile? regards LP
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: hardware
    Hi LP, I've got a Duet and the breakout cable (wires dangling) has never caused me any problems. Quality is great. I'd recommend it. However, if you want to record more than 2 inputs simultaneously and need more than 2 outputs then you'll need a different interface. On the other hand the Apogee Uno would then seem like an ideal interface if you only ever plan on recording one input at a time and it has a built-in mic which could be useful. Neither of the above have MIDI IN/Out btw. What about your budget? There are many interfaces, so a ballpark figure would help narrow down the recommendations. Cheers Rounik
  • Bubadua
    hi Rounik Neither of the above have MIDI IN/Out btw. does this mean i could not use the Midi keyboard with the Uno/Duet? I want something more versatile....about £500.00 and for say 4 in/out is there a big choice? regards LP
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi LP, Yes, neither the Duet or Uno have MIDI ports. But you can easily get a reasonably priced USB to MIDI box... However, as you want 4ins and 4 outs... you don't mention if you need XLR's and how many... so here are a few under the 500GBP price: Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 FireWire Audio Interface - 359.00 MOTU UltraLite mk3 FireWire Audio Interface - 395.00 PreSonus FireStudio Project 24-bit/96K Professional Recording System - 399.00 Lexicon IONIX FW810S 8-In 10-Out FireWire Audio Interface - 469.00 PreSonus Firestudio Firewire Audio Interface - 479.00 These prices are all in GBP and taken from digital village (UK retailer. The guys in the Bristol branch are very helpful and know their stuff). There are plenty of others to choose from. Personally, I don't recommend M-Audio for audio interfaces simply because of the issues I have come across in my time as a Logic consultant. MOTU have a very good reputation and good preamps, Presonus & Focusrite are good and the Lexicon interface sounds great - haven't used it... but reviews were very good I believe. I think they all have MIDI In/Out except the Focusrite saffire. Also, I've only recommended firewire interfaces as these will give better performance than USB. Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • Bubadua
    thanks a million LP
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: