macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Xyzefiy
    Can't Edit Audio
    Morning all, I want to edit some audio in the sample editor, but all of the options are greyed out. This is not an apple loop, but a bounce of one of my regions. I've tried saving the audio file as a new audio file but still to no avail. Any ideas? Cheers Lads John
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Can't Edit Audio
    Hi John, That's odd... What's the file format? How did you try saving the audio file? Do you have follow tempo turned on? Where have you bounced the file to? Just to remind me, are you on Logic 8 or 9? Cheers Rounik
  • Xyzefiy
    Hey I'm using Logic 8, I saved the audio file using convert to new audio file, saved it as a caf file to audio files. It's also a surround audio file. Cheers John
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, That explains it. You can't edit Surround sound files in the Sample Editor. Logic's Sample Editor is a stereo file editor only. You can bounce the file to Stereo and then edit it in the Sample Editor. Use the Down Mixer > 5.1 to Stereo in the Utilities section on an effects slot on the Master Channel Strip. :) Rounik
  • Xyzefiy
    Ah, I thought that might be it. But I'm not quite sure how it become a surround file in the first place. I didn't set up to work in surround, and certaily didn't bounce in surround. But I did use a couple of apple Loop effects that I think are in surround. Does that affect the whole project? Actually, while I am on the subject, are there any mac pro vids on working with surround? Thanks for the help as ever, Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, Some Apple Loops are in the Surround format. If you use any Surround loop or set any channel strip to Surround, then the entire project changes accordingly. There aren't any specific titles on working with Surround yet... What kind of info would you be looking for? :) Rounik
  • Xyzefiy
    Hey Rounik, I guess my two biggest queries about surround format are 1. in surround format the mixing channel has out put 1-2 and master channel with the funky 4 part level meter thingy (sorry I don't know the term, the one which shows volume lol), how does one work with this how does it differ from working in regular stereo? 2. When Bouncing you get a dialogue box which says the stereo channel will be splt and asks if I wish to proceed. What does this mean exactly and is this just proceedure or am I doing something wrong? Cheers John
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, Well, 5.1 Surround sound has 5 channels plus the bass... Stereo has two channels. So double click on 'Surround' in the Output slot of a channel strip and a Surround Panner will pop up. So, in order to properly be able to listen back to Surround sound projects you'll need to have an audio interface with at least 5 outputs and 5 monitors connected to them and setup for Surround sound. Basically this allows you to position sounds in different areas surrounding the listener. When bouncing a surround project the output files should be split so there is one for each output. :) Rounik
  • Xyzefiy
    Nice one, most helpful as ever. Cheers
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: