macProVideo.com
Forums
  • SixStringsDown
    system overload
    on Logic 8 out of nowhere I'm getting system overload messages all the time. any project. these are projects that used to work just fine. they can busy projects or not so busy ones. the only thing I have running is logic. any idea why this would happen out of the blue? it used to happen Very rarely. But I can't seem to use Logic anymore now almost.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: system overload
    Hi Tieg Can you remind me which version of OSX you are running? Is it the latest version of Snow Leopard? How much free disk space do you have? How much ram? ...and you're only running Logic 8.0.2 at the time of the System Overloads? What about if you turn off your Airport connection (in the OSX Menu Bar)? :) Rounik
  • SixStringsDown
    I'm running 10.6.2 and Logic 8.0.2 28.24 GB free space on a 250 GB hard drive. 2 GB of RAM turning off Airport helps get rid of a 3rd of the overload messages. But when there is going to be 10 messages, it isn't enough help. it's so weird how it has only now decided to happen on projects that used to work fine and I've changed nothing about the project.
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Tieg, could you also just confirm what your buffer settings are set at in the preferences... and.... are you running any 3rd party plugins? In particular, plugins that require external DSP such as Universal Audio cards or TC Powercores? Cheers, John
  • SixStringsDown
    Sure! Thanks for helping out guys. The I/O Buffer Size is 128 samples. This is what the Apogee Duet instruction manual told me to set it at. I don't use any external DSP effects. I heard having a lot of Space Designers can cause the problem. So i got rid of them all and it didn't handle the problem.
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Tieg, no probs. Space designers are pretty hungry processor wise hence why they can cause problems with buffers. In a nutshell, the smaller the buffer, the more response the computer is when playing a software instrument with a controller keyboard. Thing is, it comes at a cost as it makes the computer work harder. The larger the buffer, the less strain on the computer, but the larger the latency. 128 is getting on the low side and depending on how many effect and software instruments you have going will determine whether or not you will get pops and clicks happening. Open a project you know is giving you grief and change the buffer to 512 or 1024. If the pops and clicks go away, you might have found your culprit! Cheers, John
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John! Giving good advice as per usual! Great to see you around again :) I'll just add (although there is no need) to use a lower I/O Buffer size when recording - for less latency and a higher I/O Buffer size when mixing, to ease the strain on your Mac :) It's quite a normal process to change the I/O Buffer size depending on what you are doing in Logic. Also, I'd like to add that using Space Designer or Adlimiter or any other latency inducing plugin will... add latency during recording. :) Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora Rounik! Yeah been a while I must admit.. but it's good to be back :) Seconded on the changing of buffer sizes. You only really need lower buffer sizes when recording. Reason I asked about 3rd party stuff is my UAD card isn't happy when live automating some of their plugs if the buffer size and process buffer range don't match. One to be aware of. I.e. If your process buffer range is set to small then your buffer should be 512. Also, I'll further add, if you do happen to have Ad limiters or other plugins with lookahead (delay inducing) features.... hit the low latency button. Bypasses everything you need to give you a nice responsive system in one click! If you're not sure what or where it is, it can normally be found in your transport and looks like a speedometer/ artists palette :) Cheers, John
  • Rounik Admin
    Good point John on the low latency mode: [img]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4264/picture2ot.png[/img] It's the one highlighted in Orange. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: