macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Visyrjal
    separating midi drums in logic express 9 ?
    hi ! I´m trying to separate drum kit into individual channels with my logic express. I´m using softare instrumenst. Is it even possible with express? I haven´t found those "routing" commands.. Thanks anyway!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: separating midi drums in logic...
    Hi Visyrjal and welcome to the macProVideo forums! Yes, it's possible using Logic Express. But I need to understand exactly what you want to achieve. Which software instrument are you using? EXS24, Ultrabeat, etc? Do you: 1. Wish to separate the drum sounds to their own regions, BUT still linked to the same track/channel strip? This means you can have extra lanes or tracks for each pitch (drum sound/sample) but cannot apply effects individually to each part. You can edit each part more easily though in the Arrange area. MIDI > Separate MIDI Events > By Note Pitch AND/OR 2. You wish to route each drum sound to it's own Aux channel so you can apply effects to individual drum elements. e.g. delay on the snare only, reverb on the Toms, etc. In which case you need to use the EXS24 or Ultrabeat and load it as a Multi-output instance. Let me know if you want to do the later and I can run you through how to do it. But please tell me which software instrument you are using. Thanks Rounik
  • Visyrjal
    I wish to route each drum sound to it's own Aux channel so I can apply effects to individual drum elements. e.g. delay on the snare only, reverb on the Toms, etc. For me it is the same if I use UltraBeat or ESX 24, UltraBeat seems to be easier. I just want to learn the program and what it is capable of before I buy audio interface and microphones etc. thanks for your answer! Ville
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ville, 1. Insert an UB plugin (Ultrabeat) on a Software Instrument channel strip (select Multi-Output - not stereo). 2. In UB's Voice Assignment Section (left side), click on the word 'Main' next to a voice, e.g. Kick and choose an output. Do the same for other voices, using a different output for each. 3. Open the Mixer in Logic. 4. At the bottom of the UB channel strip you'll see a + button. Click on it. A new Aux track will be created automatically routed to receive the output as assigned to a voice from UB. Repeat this to create Aux channels for each output needed. 5. Enjoy your Multi-channel Ultrabeat :) If you're interested the Logic 204: Ultrabeat Unleashed is extremely good at showing the ins and outs of UB. Really good tutorial! [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9204[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • yoshi
    Hello , I know this is more than two years old thread. Hope someone can answer me. After reading this thread,I am still having a difficulty for separating drum sounds into different channels. I use logic express 9 and ultrabeat. How can I select Multi out-put on software channel strip?
  • GaryHiebner
    When you Choose Ultrabeat, there should be a stereo or multi output option. Do you not get this? There may be a limitation on Ultrabeat with Logic Express. Another solution it to create a different instance of Ultrabeat for each drum instrument. Then you can process them differently. But there will be more drain on your CPU with extra instances of Ultrabeat.
  • yoshi
    Is it on the window of Ultrabeat? or on the window pops up when you create a new track?
  • GaryHiebner
    This is on the instrument channel strip. On the Grey box above the Output box. You click and hold on this to choose your audio instrument. Scroll down to Ultrabeat, and there should be an option for either stereo or multi-output. If you do not have multi-output then this may be a limitation with Ultrabeat. Can anyone else with Logic Express confirm that they can or cannot add a multi-output instance of Ultrabeat? Unfortunately I only have Logic Pro.
  • yoshi
    Gary, Thank you very much for your help! It worked with express. Best,
  • GaryHiebner
    Great, glad you came right.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: