macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bokopee
    Mapping external instrument sounds to Logic
    Hi Macprovideo! I am quite new to Logic (I'm running Logic studio 8) but I'm slowly making some nice & successful projects, thanks mainly to the useful tutorials (I've purchased a few download ones but haven't yet tried the online technique). One problem area that I have is using sounds from external instruments. Using the general sound tables (GM) is readily accessible when one creates an external-midi track. However, picking up that special/particular sound from a keyboard or synth seems to be a problem. I always have to re-select it using the keyboard controls every time I restart Logic. Keyboards/synths come with tables of their internal sounds with values for MSB/LSB, program, bank, etc.. My problem is knowing how to pick these up in Logic. I've experimented a bit with the Environment window: multi-instrument, GM-mixer, etc.. Things seem to work a bit but not exactly how I want, and I cant seem to get the hang of it or where to start tackling the problem: is it the GM-mixer, the instrument, the multi-instrument, ..? This must be the most basic stuff in a sequencer and probably also why it's ignored in most manuals (logic manuals just touch on it) and even your tutorials! Isn't time Macprovideo had a tutorial with examples? For example show us how to map sounds from a Korg synth or a Yamaha Keyboard so that a particular Logic track would just pick up that Air-Choir sound when you switch on the instrument and boot Logic. Grateful for any help or simple explanation. Omar
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mapping external instrument so...
    Hi Omar, If I understand you question, it's not always as straight forward to control an external synth. It depends greatly on the particular synth you are using. Each synth has different sounds / banks for example... There are Environments that have been created for different synth in the public domain. If you tell me which synths you are looking to control I can have a look around my collection :) Thanks Rounik
  • Bokopee
    Hi Rounik! Thanks a lot for your quick help! I'm using the Korg NX5R (an old one really) but also a Yamaha PSR-3000 Keyboard. Just got to know that my son had made an environment file for the NX5R for Logic 5.5 in his old days. It's just that he doesn't seem to find it now! Yes, sure I'll be definitely grateful if you let me know where I can get these. Many thanks again. Omar
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Omar, Shame your son can't find the old environment! I've just had a look around and can find nothing for the NX5R... doesn't even appear as a product on the Korg website :( However, here is a useful link on how to create your won environments. Although it describes the process in Logic 7, it should be much the same in Logic 9. [url]http://www.logic-cafe.com/Article_View.asp?ID=37[/url] Definitely agree, a little mini-tutorial on setting up external MIDI devices in Logic would be useful... Let me know how you get on. :) Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Omar, In addition to the above mentioned link, you may also find 'Logic 105: Logic's Environment Explored', #'s 16-26 to be helpful. In these tutorials, Martin thoroughly covers everything you mentioned in your first post to this thread. You may need to make a new environment file for your NX5R as Martin illustrates in vid #23, mentioned above. It's true also that the file may be out there somewhere online, if you search for it. Good luck, and enjoy, Adam
  • Dekuruy
    Woops! - making a new environment file is discussed in vid #22, not #23 mentioned in my previous post. Vid #23 talks about 'various multi's' and gives you a link to a page on this site - don't know if that still exists here or if it would contain the NX5R files you're looking for. Thanks - hope this helps. Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Adam! I should've linked to the tutorial first! Oops on my part ;-) Rounik
  • Bokopee
    Thanks a lot Rounik (thanks also Adam). I'd seen this link earlier actually. Reading through it didn't seem too useful in the beginning, but upon your recommendation I had to look deeper and I did find it quite useful and applicable to Logic-8 too. I've just created 8 tracks connected to various sounds on my instrument! I've also just downloaded the tutorial 'Logic 105: Logic's Environment Explored'. Seems very good & detailed. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again for the great help. /Omar
  • Rounik Admin
    No probs Omar and definitely thanks to Adam on this one! Glad you're finding the tuorials to be of specific help :) All the best & Happy Holidays! Rounik
  • drumchile
    Are there any environments out there for the Roland Fantom G? Just curious. Thanks
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: