macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rohogay
    Logic 104, Phase locking challenge
    I watched Steve H.'s Lesson, Flex Time Editing and section 4-19 & 20 talks about how the tracks need to be EXACTLY the same length in order to set up a group for Phase Lock editing. His examples were drum trax in slice mode which seem easier to deal with but what do I know. I have 4 "guitar" audio tracks I recorded. Same part just done with 4 mics at the same time. I checked the beginning and they are starting at the same location, 1 1 1 1 and I trimmed the 4 tracks with the play head all at the exact same location at the end. Now I still get the message telling me the tracks are not the same length & in fact, from what the help tags read, they are not. This is preventing me from selecting the phase lock option in the group settings menu. These 4 tracks were all recorded with 4 different microphones at different distances but that only makes a slight difference in phase. They are also Comp tracks and I have a punch in section on all four. The comp sections and the punch in sections for the four trax are not the same length, mainly due to editing at the zero crossover point (remember, phase differences, slightly different lengths etc). Do I need to merge these tracks first in order to get them to an equal length? My goal was to phase lock them and flex edit them to tighten up the timing on down beats etc. I worked on one individual track for hours realizing I had to do this 3 more times. One last question. Because these are different mics at different distances, I see the transients aren't exactly the same for each track when I put them into Flex view. I have them in Polyphonic mode with the "Complex" box checked. If I succeed in phase locking say after merging and trimming, will flex editing one track move the other tracks so the timing corrections apply to all tracks in the group? Victor Mason Mojave Ampworks LLC. Aka Chief Talk-a-lot.
  • Rohogay
    Re: Logic 104, Phase locking chall...
    Did the Merge thing, got the phase locked and it appears the transits are all aligned. Is it possible to avoid all the flex editing with the Quantize feature or am I dealing with to much in the way of variation on the audio track for a simple Quantizing? Do quantizing the regions help after flex editing?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Mojave, Yes, merging per track will work, as you've discovered. Well, if you quantize audio region I believe the transient markers will be read - so it depends on your audio material and you can increase/decrease the no. of transient markers in the sample editor. I think quantizing can help after flex editing... but again it really depends on the material you're working with. :) Rounik
  • Rohogay
    I got it all worked out. After correctly merging, I phase locked the tracks, Took one track to the sample editor as Steve H.'s video shows, and removed any spurious transients and added a few with the Pencil tool. Got it worked up, then I was able to go to the arrange page and use that track which was the only one I left with the Green lit "Q" button, and Quantized it to 8th notes. Went back, moved a few parts around and it worked perfectly. I did this 4 times on for tracks. All for takes were recorded using 4 microphones at the same time for the sound value. This technique was priceless. Thanks Steve H. for saving me form wasting days of time. Learning and applying this technique was really valuable. I did split one region into two sections and quantized one half at eighth notes and the other at 16th notes as well, just like Steve did on his Video. Everything worked out. Here is the resulting 1 min clip although I recorded 4 min worth of material, without vocals, I just bounced the guitar part that counted since this is a Guitar amp demo showing how accurately one can reproduce the sound with this model amplifier we build. Extremely hard to correctly cop these iconic tones, no off the shelf production amp or amp simulator will do it. [url]http://mojaveampworks.com/snd/mmh.mp3[/url] Here are some pictures of the recording booth and mics. [url]http://mojaveampworks.com/scrnshts/sound1.jpg[/url] [url]http://mojaveampworks.com/scrnshts/sound2.jpg[/url] [url]http://mojaveampworks.com/scrnshts/sound3.jpg[/url] [img]http://mojaveampworks.com/scrnshts/mmhdemo.jpg[/img]
  • Cajypiu
    Nice!
  • Rohogay
    Thanks man, Lots of work and all the while learning as I go.
  • Cajypiu
    The learning never stops honestly! I love it though so well done on making it through. I have yet to make the jump to Logic 9 myself as I always seem to be working on something that I'd rather not interfere with by upgrading. It will happen shortly though as the flex time feature is something I really could do with for speeding things up!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: