macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dekuruy
    Learn mode & cc question
    I'm controlling the 'fuzz-wah depth' knob on the fuzz-wah plug-in. I used the 'Learn mode' (command L) to get Logic to see one of the knobs on my Trigger Finger. It tells me that the assignment has been learned and it works fine - as long as I stay on the selected track, which is the one I want the fuzz-wah to effect. The Trigger Finger and the MIDI keyboard that's playing live into Logic are both set to MIDI channel 4, as is the track itself. I'm in multi-player record mode, so I have MIDI instruments sending on different channels into Logic as well - (channels 1 & 5). I have the auto demix by channel checkbox checked, and everything is working as it's supposed to. However, if I select another track, even though everything else works fine, the Trigger Finger starts sending pan (cc10) data to the track on MIDI channel 4, instead of the fuzz-wah data. (The knob is programed to cc10 in the Trigger Finger). This is not a big deal, because I can keep the MIDI channel 4 track selected and still have all the other tracks receive MIDI on their respective channels properly. But the other problem is that if I close the project, and then go back to it later, the same knob on the Trigger Finger doesn't always effect the same 'fuzz-wah depth' knob in the plug-in. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it starts sending pan data again, even though the desired track is selected. I then have to go into the fuzz-wah plug-in, and reset everything using 'Learn mode' again. I'm hoping for a more reliable way to do this. Can I assign a cc# to the plug-in parameter I want to control with my Trigger Finger? Do I need to save a setting in the Trigger Finger itself? (Didn't think so 'cause it was Logic that was learning which knob and storing that info - could be wrong about that, though). Can I use the environment and maybe a transformer object to accomplish this? I need for this setting to consistently be there on call as it is part of a show I'm doing next week. It all has to work during live playing, not MIDI playback. Any help will be very much appreciated. Oh, I know I can accomplish this with automation quick access, but this is not the most desirable, because I have to keep erasing the automation data every time we rehearse the song. Thanks, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Learn mode & cc question
    Hi Adam, I think I understand your question. This is what I would do: 1. In the Environment create a new Monitor and cable the output for the Fuzzwah channel strip to the Monitor. 2. Move the Fuz wah parameter to see it's Fader Channel and parameter value. 3. Create a new transformer. Cable it to the Fuzz wah channel strip. In the Inspector make sure the Icon checkbox is ticked. 4. Double-click on the Transformer object and set it's parameters to the display in the Monitor. Here were my results, but yours may vary depending on which insert and type of channel strip (audio or SI) the Fuzz wah is placed on. [img]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/1278/picture1ioj.png[/img] 5. Now go to the Clicks and Ports layer and Option-click on an empty output on the 'Input notes' or 'Input View' object and from the drop down list select the transformer. Now, anytime you move the trigger fingers dial the fuzzwah's parameter will be moved no matter which track you have selected. (I should mention it's easier to do this in Mainstage... although I like creating onscreen faders that are mapped to MIDI hardware to do this job! Also, in the Controller Assignments window (advanced view) you can select the Class to be 'Channel strip' and make sure it's not set to 'Selected channel strip'... This should work... although I'm not near any hardware to test this out right now :( Hope that helps! Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Thanks millions, as always, Rounik. I just briefly looked at your response, and it looks like that might work. I'll let you know over the weekend when I have time to work on it. Take care, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks for the kind words Adam! Let me know whenever you get time :) Best Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Rounik, good day to you. I've been trying to do what you outlined in your instructions above. This is what's been happening: If, in the transformer, I 'let non-matching events pass through', as in your example, I get the instrument routed to channel 4 sounding with every other instrument, even though I'm in Multi-player record mode and the track containing that instrument is selected. If I 'filter non-matching events', then each instrument sounds individually as it should. However, the trigger finger is still sending pan data, even though it is now sending data to the fuzz-wah parameter as I wanted. The pics below may give you a clearer indication of what I'm doing: http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8947/picture1aoy.png http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7620/picture2ce.png [img]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4484/picture3a.png[/img][/img] [/img] In pic 2 you can see the input notes object cabled to the transformer in the mixer layer. At first I cabled the input view object to the transformer, with the same results. Pic 3 just shows the way I'm record enabling, but it also shows that two of those three record enabled tracks are assigned to instrument objects in the environment's mixer layer - don't know if that matters. Rounik, I'd be very thankful for any help you could give me on solving this issue. Thanks, Adam P.S. I should mention that the channel strip with the fuzz wah and the instrument that I want to control it with are both on channel 4, as indicated in the transformer.
  • Dekuruy
    hmm... don't know why only the third pic is appearing on the post.... I hope you can see the other two from the url. Sorry about that.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Adam! Don't worry about the first two pictures. I was able to see them by visiting their URL's. You're correct, 'Apply Operation & Filter matching events' is a more appropriate mode to use. I'm not near Logic right now. Could I suggest that you create the connection in Clicks and Ports from the Physical Object instead. Try Option clicking on the output slot relating to 'Trigger Finger'. This should work better. You can also place a new transformer object after the current one and before the Fuz wah channel strip. This would could 'filter matching events' and that would be used to filter the CC 10/11 whichever is affecting pan info on the fuz wah channel strip. Let me know how you get on. :) Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Hey Rounik! I just wanted to let you know I have had success with this, and your guidance was a big help. It's been a very busy weekend - the snow didn't help - so I have to keep it brief. I hope to explain how I accomplished everything I was asking about soon, maybe after the show. I just wanted to be sure you knew what was happening and that you were definitely a help to me. Thanks, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Adam, Great! Glad you got it working :) Hope you and your students really enjoy the Show (and the snow ;) and if I don't see you around the forums before then, have a wonderful Christmas and New Year! Best Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Thank you, Rounik, and the same to you. Take care, Adam
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: