macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Zyvecia
    SoundTrack Pro Access from Logic
    I'm a newbie to Logic Pro and learning via the tutorials and trial & success. One of the cool things that I learned in the tutorials was the direct access to the external audio editor, Soundtrack Pro. Well, I executed the "Shift-W" key command while running my Logic Pro 9 version and got nothing. I then selected one of my audio tracks and went through the Logic "Options/Audio/Open in Soundtrack Pro" menu but found the "Open In Soundtrack Pro" selection grayed out - i.e., unavailable. The Soundtrack Pro application is on my MacBookPro because I found it in my Applications folder and executed it, but look nothing like what Martin discussed in his Logic 101 tutorial. I checked the Preferences settings and saw that the External Audio Editor was pointed to Soundtrack Pro in the Applications folder. Any thoughts on why Soundtrack Pro would be grayed out in the Logic Options menu? Thanks...and BTW - the tutorials are really helpful so far. I'll let you know more as I get into more of the meat of the tool.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: SoundTrack Pro Access from Log...
    Hi Newbie4Now, Welcome to the forums! What version of Logic and Soundtrack Pro do you have? What version of OSX are you using? Is it possible that you do not have an audio region selected when you choose: Options > Audio > Open in Soundtrack Pro ? Also, you cannot open Audio (blue) Apple Loops in Soundtrack Pro without turning them into standard audio files first. If you are using Logic 9 then choosing Bounce In Place will be the easiest way to make this happen. Hope that helps Rounik
  • Zyvecia
    Thanks for the quick response. Soundtrack Pro is version 3.0.1. Logic Pro is version 9.0.2 Mac OS is 10.5.8 The audio files were created from recording an analog tape through a MOTU 8Pre digital interface into Logic Pro via the Firewire interface on the MacBookPro. So, they are not Apple loops; they are what I thought were 'standard' digital audio files from an external source. Maybe there is another step associated w/ these types of files that I need to execute to make them compatible w/ Soundtrack Pro from within Logic. You tell me. There are 5 audio tracks in the project and I had not edited them in anyway after the initial digital transfer from tape to Logic. Therefore, each track was a long single region when selected. I selected each track individually prior to launching Soundtrack Pro from within Logic. In each case, Soundtrack Pro was grayed-out. Thanks again for your assistance. N4N
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi N4N, Thanks for the info... This is strange. I suspect that you can't open an audio region in STP if it is contained within a Take Folder. Does the Audio Region have a disclosure arrow on it's top bar? When you double click on the audio region does it open in the Sample editor or display multiple lanes within the Arrange area? If it is part of a Take Folder then you'll need to flatten the Take from the Take Folder menu (top right of region header). Do keep a copy of the take folder on a muted track incase you wish to revert back to anything later on. If this doesn't solve the issue can you open the Audio Bin in Logic and give me the info from there about the audio files (format, Bit depth, sample rate etc). Thanks Rounik
  • Zyvecia
    Thanks Rounik. I'll have to get a little smarter on some of the features you mentioned. "Disclosure arrows", "Flattening" and "Take Folders" are terms of which I have not familiarized myself just yet. I'll look into the effects (no pun intended) of these features on my STP problem and let you know - will take me a few days since I have a day job and a family. Thanks again for your expeditious response. N4N
  • Rounik Admin
    Ah sorry... didn't want to overload you with info. Recording takes (take folders) are discussed in the tutorial. Disclosure arrows/triangles are actually an OSX symbol. In a Finder window if you choose to view in 'List Mode' you'll notice that folders have a 'disclosure triangle'. Clicking on it will show/hide the contents of the folder. Have a look around the interface of Logic and you'll notice that in the Inspector on the left there are a couple of 'areas' which can be shown/hidden by clicking on the disclosure triangle. Flattening is really to do with takes and comps... and making one single audio file from a take or comp. Check these out in the tutorial and definitely ask any questions here whenever you want/have time. Cheers Rounik
  • Zyvecia
    Well, Rounik I finally got around to checking some of the things you mentioned and have also performed a lot of trial & error (or 'success'- the term I prefer). I'm slowly but surely getting the hang of this, and with your suggestions did get my STP functioning properly. Thanks again. This is a very helpful forum. Keep up the good work. N4N
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks for your kind words N4N! May the 'success' continue :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: