macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hizegau
    automate channel strip performance
    I understand how you can change channel strip performances on the fly by sending program changes from an external MIDI device. I am trying to figure how how to send those program changes from the track itself in order to automate the change. Also, can the changing channel strip effect overall performance of a Logic sequence while it is running? I am interesting in hearing from anyone who has used this technique for live performance or for consolidating large mixes. Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: automate channel strip perform...
    Hi mediacomp, This is a really interesting idea... automating channel strip settings / Performances. I've never considered doing this... Calls for some investigation. Give me a few days to try it out and I'll get back to you. I imagine that changing channel strip settings in real time may affect Logic's performance as new plugins are loaded into memory etc. Another option of the top of my head would be to create sends from the channel strip (output set to none) to a number of Aux channels, each with it's own CSS on. You could then rig up a little environment to mute all bar one Aux channel at a time and set your MIDI Controller to control it. This could be automated too. :) Rounik
  • Hizegau
    Thanks Rounik for looking into this. I am trying to find ways to streamline large mixes and not have to use so many tracks, plugins, instruments, etc.
  • Rounik Admin
    I see... Although I haven't had time yet to investigate your question, I'd say that it would cause Logic to hiccup during playback. Loading some plugins is not always an instant process in Logic, whereas Mainstage can be more streamlined for that type of thing. Have you looked into either- - Freezing tracks or - Mixing in Stems and then bouncing the stem (e.g. rhythm section / melodies / synths / guitars etc), hiding and muting the original tracks and re-importing the bounced stem into the project? Cheers Rounik
  • Hizegau
    yes, I have all sorts of techniques for submixing, bouncing, freezing, muting, etc... I use Vienna Ensemble Pro to run AU instruments on networked computers... so I am searching for the holy grail of having all of my instruments on-line despite giant mixes and a 90 minute music theater work. I have to say I am disappointed with Logic Node, it is very unstable, particularly when using the Vienna setup at the same time. Every time I change projects I lose the connection, while Vienna is totally reliable. Thanks! Randall
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Randall, What about your Mac, what are the specs? How much ram do you have, free HD space, processor, external drives, OSX version etc? :) Rounik
  • Hizegau
    Hi Rounik: I have a formidable system, Mac Pro 4 core, about 6 Tb of storage with a Raid eSata drive, 8 Gb of memory. I also have two G5's and a Mac Book that are part of the networked system. I'm using Vienna Ensemble Pro with the G5's and running Ableton on the Macbook for live interaction. I'm also considering using Bidule as well and outboarding my EXS instruments to Kontakt. I'm just trying to learn more about doing large mixes and what kind of practices are out there. This would make a great book! Thanks, Randall
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, you have a very capable system! I'd recommend trying out the Plogue Bidule / IAC driver route for Vienna Ensemble. By all accounts, EXS24 is more CPU friendly than Kontakt... and it's not tied to the 4GB ram limit within Logic. I'll take a look in a few days when I have a moment to experience the pros and cons of switching channel strip performances in realtime... but I suspect (especially if using large sample libraries) that you may see some overload messages... If you want any help on the book, let me know ;-) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: