macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Gajigoi
    Lost in the Environment
    I've been going over the tutorial 105. I am trying to isolate my 3 multi-timbral keyboards so that each will play separately. In this case, I'm not sure I want to use the sum output of the physical input. I have assigned a port from the physical input to each keyboard and then patched them into the sequencer input. This doesn't yield the results I'm looking for. I want to be able to play 3 keyboards each channel armed and able to play the sound assigned to each keyboard. I've done all this patching in the clicks and ports area. I have a feeling I need to separate them to the midi instruments window. Now the way I have it set up, is physical input to the port then routed to the sequencer input. If I arm 3 tracks all three tracks play all three synth sounds. Can someone suggest an easier way to do this? I've spent hours experimenting and have been unable to get this to work the way I want it to. Much thanks in advance. ...and Happy New Years to all! Cary
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Lost in the Environment
    Hi Cary have you set up the 3 midi keyboards in AudioMidi Setup (in the applications/utilities folder)? In Logic you should then see them listed in the Physical input object. Could you post a picture of your environment? Here's how to do it: http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=15243 thanks Rounik
  • Gajigoi
    Thanks for replying Rounik. I won't get a chance to mess with logic until Friday night. I will do a screen shot as well as try a few other things before I reply again. Thanks, Cary
  • Gajigoi
    Hi Rounik, I've tried so many approaches, I think it would be pointless to do screen shots. Here's what I have: A 4 port midi interface 3 keyboards and 1 midi drum kit. (S90, Karma, SH-201, and Roland TD-3SX) What I want to accomplish is to have each instrument play together, 4 channels in record (midi) and have each keyboard play its designated patch. I've tried defining each instrument as both a mono timbral and multi-timbral (separately of course). On my clicks and ports page, I separated each midi port first to the sequencer input. Then I even inserted a transformer which should filter out any wrong channel midi events. On my instruments page, I strictly defined each instrument as a mono-timbral and even went as far as setting each instrument to its own midi channel. The result is rather erratic depending on which instrument I have selected. If I arm all the midi tracks, they all play together regardless of which keyboard I play. I do not have the sum hooked up on the physical input. I was just wondering if anyone else here has tried to do this. I love the VI's in logic, but occasionally I want to use my outboard gear in a real time manner, and I can't seem to get Logic to cooperate. I entered and wired all my midi devices in the Audio Midi folder and they do appear in the library area when I select the appropriate channel/port. In fact I gave up trying for ports and have just been trying to isolate the channel on input. Thanks for any input, Cary
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Cary, Seems like you have tried quite a few different techniques... It should be possible to set this up without entering the environment: - Make sure each Keyboard is transmitting on a different MIDI Channel. To set this refer to the manual for each Keyboard. - Enabel the Auto Demix by channel in Settings > Recording - In the Arrange area select each track and in the Inspector set each track to a different MIDI Channel - Finally, record-arm each of the tracks. You should now be able to playback/record multiple MIDI Channels simultaneously. Cheers Rounik
  • Gajigoi
    Thanks a million Rounik! I seem to have gotten it all working and even managed to import the patch lists for the s90 and Karma into my template. Slowly but surely, I'm learning my way around Logic. The tip about Enabling the Auto Demix by Channel was what was screwing me up. Cary
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Carey, No problem! Glad it's helped. The 'Auto Demix by Channel' is an easy one to miss! :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: