macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Xyzefiy
    Memory Getting Low message, Logic 9
    Hi, I recently purchased Logic 9 along with snow leopard. I've been working on a music for video piece less than 2 minutes in length, today I got a pop up telling me that the memory was getting low and I shouldn't use any more plug-ins. But this really isn't a memory consuming piece at all. Nothing I wasn't doing on my old macbook pro with Logics 7 and 8! I'm using a Mac Pro Quad Core with 6 GB of Ram, the current piece utilizes Vienna symphonic Orchestra and one track with delay designer and some automation. No other plug-ins at all. Is anyone else having this problem? Is it a bug or what?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Memory Getting Low message, Lo...
    Hey John, I haven't come across this yet, but have heard that others have found some very annoying memory low messages. All I can suggest is to raise the I/O Buffer setting and try using DV compressed video files in Logic. At the moment Logic is not 64 bit and perhaps this is a Snow Leopard issue, as I have been using Logic primarily in Leopard still. Do you have the latest version of VSL running? Is the memory meter in Logic peaking and are you able to stop playback and restart playback successfully? Thanks Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, just a thought on VSL... how big is the patch you are running and what codec is your video in. I don't use VSL myself, but there are RAM efficient ways of using samplers and I'm wondering if that could be part of the problem. I'm personally still on Logic 8 and Leopard and there is a 3GB limit regarding the RAM due to it not being 64bit as Rounik pointed out. Cheers, john
  • Xyzefiy
    Hey all, Thanks for the info and advice, actually there is, it appears, a new version of the VSL player. Ive just downloaded and installed it. Lets see if that does anything. I saved a reference copy of the video using Quick time, If I remember rightly It`s size didnt exceed 50KB. Also I am not noticing anything strange in system performance. The load is evenly spread, doesnt seem to be going over 25 percent of any of the cores. Starting and stopping is fine etc. Even with all these concerns in mind, the fact is this project is practically miniscule compared to previous ones Ive worked on. Does this mean my upgrades have had an adverse affect on my Mac?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John, Best to try out the new version of VSL Player and see how that behaves for the time being... It's quite normal that plugins and applications need to be updated after a new OS is installed. Though having said that it could still be a performance issue with Logic and SL. I would say that there is a much better way to work with video in Logic than how you are doing so. The size in MB/GB of a video is irrelevant. The codec is important. Personally, I would NOT use a reference movie either. Using a compressed movie format like H.264, for example, will put a lot of strain on Logic while it is also running tracks, plugins etc. Best to use a non-compressed movie format. Open the original movie in Quicktime Pro 7 and press Command-I to reveal the info window. You should see the codec of the video as well as the frames per second, size in MB/GB etc. I would recommend you export or save the movie to the DV Pal/NTSC codec. Save it as a complete movie, not a reference file and then use that in Logic. This should also free up some resources for Logic. Also, make sure you have updated to SL 10.6.2. Let us know how you get on. If performance is still suffering, then do you have a clone of your Leopard system to roll back to? Cheers Rounik
  • Xyzefiy
    Alright Rounik? just thought I'd let you know I finished the project without a hitch. So at least that's a relief. I ended up removing the video during mixing just in case. But everything seemed fine. Thanks to you and YADJ for the help. The video tip was priceless and the new VSL player is working without a hitch on Logic 9. Cheers Lads
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi John! Great news & very glad to hear it too :) Thanks Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Nice one and well done!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: