macProVideo.com
Forums
  • efrog1
    My Loops sound all weird
    In certain songs, when I open the Media browser and click on the loops tab and audition various loops... they sound all weird. Kind of like they are being phased or run through some cheezy effects. I auditioned the loops in a "empty song" and they sound fine. I don't have any effects in my master channel strip either. I am totally stumped. Using Logic Studio
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: My Loops sound all weird
    Hi efrog1 Welcome to the forums! In the Loop Browser there is an option in the bottom right 'Play in'. Sometimes if your song key is very different to the key of the loop you may hear some artifacts during playback. Also, check that you don't have any effects inserted on the Loop Browser channel. (In order for you to preview loops in the Loop Browser and audio in the Sample Editor, Logic routes the signal to the 'Prelisten' channel strip)... Open the Mixer and click on the 'All' tab in the Mixer's Tool bar. Now scroll and find the Prelisten channel strip (Inst 256 usually). Make sure there are no effects inserted on it. If this doesn't help, could you let me know which loops you are having this issue with and which version of Logic you are running. Thanks Rounik
  • efrog1
    Thanks for your reply. I am using Logic Pro 8.0.2 I changed the "Play In" mode from Song Key to Original Key, it made no difference. I went to my Mixer section and found that channel strip, Audio 40. It had NO plug-in's assigned nor any sends or busses enabled. My Master Out has no plug-in's enabled or assigned either. I noticed that when I select my loop tabs in the loops window such as "dry, relaxed or Piano", I get the spinning beach ball for a good while between each selection. All loops seem to be effected with either a small echo, phase/flange, chorusing effect and a slow down. I didn't notice it with the loop of spoken word like "Amazing". I have my Logic song file and it's folder on a Glyph hard drive and the Logic program and my loops on my computer hard drive. Thanks for any help! I did just notice that my song tempo is 60. When I changed it to 120, some of the loops sounded better. IS this a setting that I have wrong somewhere?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi efrog1 Well, if your project tempo is very different from the Loops original tempo then you will hear artifacts being produced in some cases. Some Apple Loops (rhythmic) can be time stretched by a large amount... but other melodic loops will produce artifacts when time stretched by such a large amount (120bpm to 60bpm for example). What sample rate is your project set to? What audio interface are you using? Finally, if some of the loops still sound odd, even when previewed at their original tempo, what happens when you drop them into the Arrange area? Also, are you using a template created pre-Logic 8? Not sure if this could be the issue... try creating a blank/empty project and testing the loop preview. Thanks Rounik
  • Logic Pro & Logic Express
    Weird loops as well! Using Logic 9 Express. I play them outside of Logic (via QuickTime) and they sound fine. Loops in browser sound screwy as well but are fine outside of Logic. There are no effects on the prelisten, no effects on them at all. Happening on most loops. Like there is a flanger/chorus/reverb thing. Got me stumped. I created a new project and the same thing happens. Aye yi yi Please need help.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi When you play them back in Quicktime they will play back at the original tempo (tempo they were recorded in)... However, if your project tempo is hugely different to the original tempo of the apple loop then it is possible you will hear artefacts when previewing them or adding them to your Arrangement. so placing an audio apple loop recorded at 120bpm in a project where the tempo is at 80 bpm (for example) will probably not sound so good! Either change your project tempo to be closer to the loop tempo and/or try using green apple loops (Software instrument apple loops) on Software Instrument tracks in your project. Hope this helps, R
  • Logic Pro & Logic Express
    The loops are 'effected' in their original time/tempo They are all weird when playing the sample/preview loop in logic itself, even before I place them into a project. Once placed in a project without the tempo changed the sound is even more effected. . Ah gee. What do you think? What do I do now?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey! Well, I can't really explain this without being able to hear the exact problem... Sometimes, if the sample rate of the project is set to 48k or above this can cause some odd behaviour when previewing loops. Also, I'm very, very surprised that you found the "Prelisten" audio channel strip as Audio Track 40. Normally it is 256... Please check again: 1. Open the Mixer 2. Click on the "All" button (top right of Mixer) 3. Look for the "Prelisten" channel strip. Are there any insert effects on that channel strip? So, are you using a template created in an earlier version of Logic? Do you find the same "effected" problem if you create a brand new project and preview loops from the loop browser? Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: