macProVideo.com
Forums
  • brezerkr
    Re: Buying a mac?
    aaaaahhhhhhhmmmmmmm thats the sound of me enjoying the rare smell of honesty not only did i appreciate the link on "flickering" , but it being so easy for tech types to bash apple when the new stuff isnt right, i really appreciate the desire to whisper,nice.
  • 88keez
    Thanks for the responses. I am leaning toward the quad core with the upgraded processing speed now. I had always wanted it of course (why not?) but didn't know if it was just a salesmans way of upping the price needlessly. I can only see an i5 on the Apple website, does anyone know where I can look at an i7 online? Or what is the difference between the 2? I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions. It makes it a lot more comfortable to fork out money when I'm confident in what I should be buying. So thanks again. Although now that I want a Mac, I don't know if I can wait until they fix the flickering issues. lol But, I will....just to be on the safe side. 88keez
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi The i7 is a configuration option. So go to the Apple store online, choose the iMac 27" and you'll have an option to choose the i5 or i7 processor. Here's the difference explained by Apple: [i]"The Intel Core i5 or i7 processor incorporates four processing cores onto one die, so data doesn't have to travel far to get from core to core. These "Nehalem" processors include the following features: * 8MB of shared L3 cache, which boosts performance by keeping data and instructions in a fast-access cache that is available to all four processor cores. * An integrated memory controller, which allows faster access to data stored in memory by connecting the memory controller directly to the processor, eliminating any middle man and significantly increasing memory bandwidth. * Turbo Boost, a dynamic performance technology that automatically speeds up the cores in use when other cores aren't needed. The Intel Core i7 processor also features Hyper-Threading technology, which allows two threads to run simultaneously on each processor core, providing eight virtual cores for increased performance."[/i] Looks like there's a two week wait on the current 27" models... :) Rounik
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Just to throw another thought into the mix here, I was in the very same situation last year, coming from PC, cubase, need for photoshop etc. A Mac pro gives you better upgrade options, much better. I would suggest to also look for a refurbished Mac pro 8 core, with basic Ram and ideally only 1 hard drive. Then over time you can take some bucks and bring them to OWC who are well known for excellent after market quality and value for money. I would chose a lesser specified Mac Pro any day over a better specified iMac. Apart from that the quad cores are very new, and the Mac Pro 4 or 8 cores are established. Best Georg
  • 88keez
    Thanks again for all the info. I visited the Apple store a couple of days ago, big mistake. lol Now I'm looking at getting an iphone too. Very impressive things in the store though. I think I've settled on the 27" i7. Having the extra speed makes sense to me. Thru your advice I'll probably upgrade the RAM after the purchase. (I'll see if 4GB will work for now). But, have you ever heard of any problems upgrading this way. I've upgraded PC's in the past and haven't been happy. Just wondering if Mac was different. Would you also recommend getting the 3 years of Apple care? With all the online forums dealing with problems, is it worth it to spend the extra $$. Also, when I was in the Apple store, they didn't seem to know anything about the screen flickering that you had talked about before. Do you know if that problem is taken care of yet? Any other advice regarding this would be gtreat. Thanks again, 88keez.
  • Bj
    Hi 88keez, Decisions... Decisions... Decisions... Here's my 2 cents worth... Hope it helps... Last December I Upgraded to the 27" imac (2core)... 8 gig Ram and the HD 4850 Graphics Card. Logic 9.1 (64bit) runs extremely well and I have had no discernible issues. Applecare Extended Warranty gives me peace of mind and is a nice to have... just in case thing... and goes way beyond forums and covers you for Hardware problems as well. Although some users are reporting Screen Flickering Issues I have not experienced any. Based on my own experiences and the fact that the model you are considering is a Built to Order unit, I would definitely recommend getting 8 gig of Ram right from the start... and the Applecare Extended Warranty, for the reasons already stated. That way, when you take the Shiny New Unit out of the box, plug it in and set it up, you should be right for many years of happy creating... Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey guys, yes... Going to the Apple Store ... walking out with more than you initially wanted to get ;-) The iPhone is an amazing bit of kit by the way. Really has changed the way I do many many things! I haven't seen any recent threads about the screen issue... but I haven't been looking specifically. I think that Apple did release a patch for 27" iMacs recently. Don't know much about it though and whether it has solved the issue for good. I've been using Macs for over 7 years and changed ram in multiple machines with no issues. Important thing is to get good quality ram: www.crucial.com 4GB may be fine for you now... 8GB will last you a long time! Applecare... I've never purchased Applecare, the 1st year warranty has been enough in my experience. You can add on applecare during the first year if you like... or for extra peace of mind purchase it! Other than that... when you're happy to purchase go for it! Do let us know how you get on :) Best Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    And to boot, the shipping has now eased to a nice 5-7 days on the quad-core machines. Demand must be waning a bit. I'm getting closer to ordering mine as well. I'll post a video on that other site when I do. I was thinking about waiting until I could order the iPad as well so they'd come on the same day. That'd be fun! Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Ha! Love your thinking! iPad and iMac on the same day. Very cool :)
  • 88keez
    Thanks again. Still thinking about the 8 GB of RAM, but it's looking like it might be a good idea. I do have another question. I'm currently using a Yamaha Audiogram 6 as an interface. I've been looking at the Duet interface. Does anyone have any experience with this one or any others that may do a good job? I've been told the Duet is a step up from the Audiogram, but I don't know if it will make a huge difference. I thought I'd ask here since the response to my other questions and concerns has been great. Thanks, 88keez
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: