macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieInNC
    Re: Buying a mac?
    Actually, David, I beg your pardon. I just looked again, and apparently Logic CAN access all of the cores via hyperthreading, but it is limitations within Logic itself that prevent it from using those cores and the processing power at any more than a fraction of it's capability. I guess someone has actually witnessed all 8 cores being used by Logic on an i7, but the performance didn't really improve from one configuration to another (meaning having HT disabled and thus not using the 4 virtual cores). Apparently, even with this power, there are still only so many tracks you can use collectively. I think I read somewhere that someone had as many as 70 tracks operating before Logic clipped. When I get mine, I'm going to load all tracks with Absynth 5 and see how far it'll go. Jamie
  • JamieInNC
    Oh! How do you like the Omnisphere? I was thinking about picking that up but want to get the Soundtoys bundle first. I bet Omnisphere will provide a wonderful test-synth for the i7... Jamie
  • David T
    Jamie. Thanks again - that's very interesting. So basically, Logic's own limitations mean that HT is no real advantage for an i7 at this stage if i understand you correctly. What machine have you actually ordered by the way? And what sources are you running? david
  • David T
    Omnisphere is BEAUTIFUL, but massive. I can run a couple before my 3ghz imac with 4gig RAM says .. no more! But obviously with only 4 gig ram I'm running at 32bit - so I'm assuming that changing to a 64 bit version and running 16 gig RAM will make a huge difference. The sounds are lush and easy to manipulate and really you are limited by your own creativity only. If you are used to the Spectrasonics front end on things, you'll get the hang of it very quickly - and it's easy to make whole rigs of sounds with FX as well. I can't recommend it highly enough!!! I want to get Trilian now - I've had trilogy for ages and I love it, but apparently trilian is EVEN better!!! David
  • JamieInNC
    Correct. I ordered an i7. I'm going to max out the RAM when I get the chance to order it, not that it'll make much difference right this moment. I'm running small stuff right now on it. I have Tone Gladiator 2, which is a CPU hog at times. Other than that, I'm ordering the Absynth 5, and will probably get Omnisphere as well just to see what it's like to work with. 64-bit will make a whole bunch of difference with Omni...just watch Steve H.'s video on the 64-bit thing... Jamie
  • David T
    Jamie... I don't understand why the extra RAM won't make a difference. If i understand correctly, Logic in 64 bit mode will see 16 GB RAM at this stage, even if it's without the virtual threads. Am i mistaken? David
  • JamieInNC
    David, Honestly, I have no idea why Logic wouldn't see the full 16GB, but it is a fact that everyone seems to agree upon. I think Steve's tutorial might actually explain why. That may have been the first place I've heard it. I'll have to recheck it. Actually I might go do that now and refresh my memory... Be right back... Jamie
  • David T
    That would be interesting Jamie. Maybe I misunderstood Steve's tutorial, because I thought it said that it WOULD see 16gig RAM... Hmmm.... I'll wait to hear from you, and if we get no concrete answer, maybe we can ask Steve himself! Best David
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi guys, To pipe in: Omnisphere is wonderful. Really impressive instrument! btw, Logic 9.1 can address 16+ GB of ram :) Rounik
  • David T
    Thanks Rounik. So.... what's your two pen'th.... i7 with 16gig Ram MacPro 8 core 2.66ghz with 8-12 gig RAM What do you think (I'm hoping the imac will be good enough because then I could buy SO many more instruments.. but I need a good fast machine!) What do you think? David
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: