macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Buying a mac?
    Hey guys I'm late to the party again ;-) @Jamie, that's completely cool. The threads you linked to where from last year? So that's well before the optimizations that came with the Logic 9.1 update, which include the ability for Logic to run in 64-bit mode. I'll check out the YouTube video tomorrow :) ..bear in mind that the EXS24 is a very very efficient Instrument already, more so than 3rd party instruments... Cheers Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Hey Rounik! Yeah, I guess those are a bit outdated over there on the Apple boards. Just for the record, I did switch the version I used in the Apple store yesterday to 64-bit before I ran the test. I thought the EXS24 was one of the heavier plug-ins within Logic's native instruments. Whatever the case may be, that machine ran a heck of a lot more loops than my machine did with the file you provided earlier this week! Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jamie :) Cool! So, you even used the benchmark template posted on these forums... Nice one. Over the next few months I would expect Logic to become even more efficient and make use of the current technology available more and more. :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Holy Cow... I ordered the computer on Thursday afternoon and it is on the truck for delivery TODAY, Monday. I'd say their delivery schedule is working. Of course, they might artificially extend the period of expected delivery so that you end up being a "happy customer?" I might take the rest of the day off! Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    So... did you get it today? Hope you're enjoying it! :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Hey Rounik! Yes it did. Luckily, they ended up trying to send it to the wrong address or I would have had to wait until today to get it. Tracking online is great because you can see the minute-by-minute location through FedEx. I used the migration assistant to transfer everything over, but ran into major problems with my Time Capsule. I called AppleCare and they had it fixed in about 30 minutes. Of all the Apple products I own, that thing is the one I understand the LEAST. It is great when it is working on its own, but a bear when it stops being friendly. I did have to re-install the Maestro software for my Duet. That didn't work well in the transfer, only to find out afterwards that none of the software functions following the migration. It either has to be re-installed or re-registered on the new machine. Didn't take long though, because I didn't have a plethora of software to transfer in the first place. I have to read up on optimizing the machine for the fastest, most efficient use. I think it may need to be tweaked a bit for Logic and other programs. The display is really stunning, and I was pleased to see that it wasn't so much bigger than the 24" I had prior. My current desk works just fine! I ran Logic in 64-bit, and the only thing that is going to be a problem is my controller. M-Audio and their Hypercontrol does not work at all in the new 64-bit application, so I'm probably going to have to reset all the major functions I use on the keyboard as far as transport buttons, faders, et cetera. Great machine! I'm looking forward to using it more in-depth today now that I spent all day yesterday making sure everything works properly. I can say this...NOT having a scroll ball is the best thing so far. Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jamie, Glad to hear you got it and it's all up and running now! Ha! No scroll bars... How are you enjoying the Magic mouse btw? :) Rounik
  • David T
    Hi all. How are you finding the machine Jamie? Question. I had one answer from a Vienna Symphonic list that said... wait a few weeks and the new 6 core imac will be out... Any ideas if that's nearby or even a good idea? David
  • JamieInNC
    Hey David! I love it! It's a real workhorse so far. I've only had it for a couple of days so I'm not exactly seasoned with it yet, but I can safely say that with sufficient RAM, this machine will last me a good long while. As far as the comment about 6-core, the first thing I thought was that there was probably a bit of sarcasm in that statement. "Buy a Quad-core now, and 15 minutes later they'll have a 6-core..." It's always tough to sense the tone of voice on a message board. Jamie
  • David T
    Hi Jamie. Good to hear it's a workhorse... If I order, it'll be with 16gb RAM. How many do you have currently? I am thinking of ordering an i7 with 16gb RAM, euphonics mix and the extra console alongside some new software. Do you recommend the i7 so far?? David
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: