macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Buying a mac?
    Hi David, Regarding the "info" about a 6-core iMac. Are you sure they meant iMac and not Mac Pro? The iMac is about half way through it's average life cycle. The Mac Pro has gone beyond it's average life cycle since the last update. I would highly recommend checking out the buyers guides here: [url]http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac[/url] Also note that was a rumor about a 6-core Mac Pro due soon... I highly doubt they will introduce a 6-core iMac before a Mac Pro version. Why would anyone choose to buy a Mac Pro if the iMac has better spec than the flagship Mac? Either way... Jamie, keep giving us more info about your iMac! The benchmarks you posted in the topic above look very impressive. Rounik
  • David T
    My mistake Rounik - it was the macpro they were talking about... I'm thinking: i7 - 16gig RAM (2TB hd) G Tech Gsafe 2 TB raid b/u system Euphonix both bits.. [b]Software new[/b] DFH Superior LASS strings Complete spectrasonics Sonivox Broadway big band (check this out if you havent.... amazing) Waves basic bundle with ren compressor Autotune EVO Sounds like a nice afternoon of installation... David
  • Rounik Admin
    Sounds to me like a very capable system. I especially like the "Complete Spectrasonics" bit! - will check out the Sonivox. As luck would have it... my most trusted of external hard drives, a one year old G-Tech G drive Q (I've used a few over the years, including Maxtor, Western Digital, Lacie, G-tech) failed on me today... I think it might be the power supply, and I'd still recommend the G-tech to others, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't at least mention it. Do make sure you have a separate backup drive for your important projects and samples. :) Rounik
  • David T
    Yes - I use a time machine system, but I'm thinking of getting another external and using a different B U system. Maybe super duper? Any recommendations? Also- two other questions... 1. Ever used LA scoring strings - I'm looking for a comparison to VSL... 2. what's your favourite software instrument (3rd party)?What can't you manage without?
  • JamieInNC
    Hi fellas! David, Yes, I would definitely recommend the i7 so far. I have the base model with 4 GB of RAM and it screams in speed. I have yet to encounter any problems and I've been throwing anything I can at it. If you don't mind the 16GB from Apple itself (considering the price), go right ahead. I am going to order the 16 GB through OWC, but I was advised to let the machine run for a good week or two with the stock RAM just to make sure it runs well before adding anything to it after-market. I downloaded Ozone 4 and the RX today. I have yet to try either of them out, but the FAQs say that Ozone 4 is very CPU heavy in 64-bit mode, so when I attempt to master the tune I'm working on now, I'll be sure to report the results. In the current tune, I have 6 Tone Gladiators running simultaneously and there is ONE CORE taking the brunt of the workload. That is amazing to me. Patches on any synth load almost immediately. I am going to download Absynth 5 tonight and see what happens with that one. Here is the complete list of plugs and peripherals I plan to have working by the beginning of April: Tone Gladiator 2 Absynth 5 Soundtoys Native Effects Omnisphere PSP Vintage Warmer Ozone 4 Izotope RX I figure that will be more than enough to deal with for what I want to do. This is certainly an expensive undertaking, but considering I've ALWAYS wanted to do this, I see it as an investment more than a hobby. In fact, I've signed up for the Mastering Audio class online though Berklee in Boston, which allowed me to get educational pricing today on the Izotope plugs. I grabbed the Ozone 4 and the RX for $250, which normally costs $650. Good deal if you ask me! I'll report soon. Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    @ David, Super Duper is really good. I've used Carbon Copy Cloner for years and love it: [url]http://www.bombich.com/[/url] I've never used LA Scoring Strings. Sorry can't help you there. I would say a mix between RMX and Omnisphere are my faves.... but this year I'm challenging myself to use more of Logic's built-in instruments... @ Jamie, When it comes to mastering your tunes with Ozone 4, give it a shot in 32-bit mode... Cheers Rounik
  • 88keez
    Wow...I go away from the forum for a bit and I have a book to read. lol Very interesting reading though. You guys seem to really know your stuff. Jamie, I'm interested in anything you have to say about pros/cons about getting the iMac7, as that is what I am looking at getting. I've read your previous comments and you seem to be happy with what you see so far. Have you had any problems with monitor flickering? Please keep me posted on any problems that may arise. I also checked out some of the software that you are using. The omnisphere intrigues me. I saw a Jordan Rudess demonstration on utube. Wow...this can really come up with some great sounds. How is it with conventional sounds, ie: piano, strings, horns? Do you rely on this one a lot? Also, the Ozone 4, I'd be interested in finding out how you make out with that and if it makes a big difference in production sound. I still have to look into all the things you guys have mentioned in these posts, but I will as time goes on. Thank you again for sharing your experience and expert opinions. 88keez
  • JamieInNC
    Hey 88! Long time, no see.. So far, there are only "pros" to getting my i7. I have yet to see a flicker, do not have any issues with loud fans, and have been checking regularly on the heat on the aluminum by simply touching it. It isn't running hot at all. I don't have omnisphere yet. I think I'm going to hold off on getting that one. Like Rounik said, sometimes you can get very overwhelmed with too many things to play with, and I have been working with Tone Gladiator 2 for a bit. That's a good one. I also decided to pass on the Absynth. I didn't quite like the sounds nor the complexity of the synthesis modules. I got the demo and it didn't quite strike me as something I'd use often with my particular style interests. Now, Alchemy, on the other hand, is the one I chose. That synth fits me well. I know very little about sound design, but it's interface and capabilities somehow just "click" with my thought process. Plus, it has features that no other synth has which I am going to use fully for a good while. Perks of being a college professor also allowed me to grab it with the educational discount, which is a nice bonus. Alchemy just makes sense to me. Can't really explain it. Ozone 4 is a really nice little plug. I used that instead of the multipressor/limiter bundle within logic and the results were quite pleasing. The interface takes a bit of getting-used-to, but it has lots of nice little mastering "reminders" that aren't apparent with Logic's own plugs unless you know you have to use them. For example, it has exciters, loudness, EQ, limiters and a whole bunch of other important, useful mastering tools wrapped into one window. The presets alone within each segment are great starting places, considering they have provided several different types within specific sub-genres of musical style! For example, they have a good number of specific mastering presets just for electronic/dance. So to answer your question, does it make a difference in sound? I would say no, because you can most likely get the same results with Logic's own plugs if you are skilled enough. It does, however, put everything you'd use into one plug, which makes it much easier to develop your own personal process and execute efficient workflow habits. In other words, you'd be hard pressed to "forget" something while you're learning and crafting the art. I also have the RX, which is really amazing if you need any audio-fixing to be done. Just for kicks, I recorded the TV on CNN or whatever, and was able to extrapolate the voices to a fine degree without the hiss and ambient noise, as well as the bumps and clicks from the mic found during real-time recording. I got both Izotope plugs for $250 because I signed up for the Mastering Audio class through Berklee online. They have a special deal with Izotope so it was definitely worth it. (Of course, the class is $1K for 12 weeks, but I thought that was worth it too...) Anything else you need to ask, let me know! I'll try my best to help! Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi guys, To pipe in about Omnisphere... well, it's forte is in creating all sorts of weird and wonderful sounds. It's a synth, a sampler playback engine (you can't as yet add your own sounds)... and there's very few words I can think of to describe it. There are some traditional instruments included... but it's not designed to rival EWQS or VSL or Kontakt for traditional sounds. There is an Omnisphere tutorial here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/omnisphere101[/url] if you're interested in checking out the preview videos... because it is immensely powerful. On a side note, Spectrasonics (who make Omnisphere, Stylus RMX and Trillian) are one of my personal fave companies ever. They offer generous upgrade to existing customers and have a really good vibe about them. :) Rounik
  • 88keez
    Thanks Jamie. I appreciate your input. And thank you too Rounik. Both of you have helped in my decision making. I've finally made the decision to buy the iMac 7, never really any doubt in my mind, but I just wanted to make sure that it was for me. I was at a 2 hour seminar on the weekend for Logic, and it pretty well convinced me that this is not only what I wanted, but what I need. It's a pretty powerful piece of software. And from everyone I have talked to, the i7 should last a while. I'm just waiting to put the order in. From what I can tell, once the Mac arrives I may become a "shut-in" for a while until I get get my head around the program. I have a few things I have to clear up before I can undertake a project like that, but soon. I will let you know when I get it and how I'm making out. I will stay close to this site as I'm sure I'll have a few questions. I will hold off on the sound software for now, you're right when you say it could be too much to handle all at once. With the new Mac and software, I may never resurface. :) Not to mention the hit on the pocket book too. But it's always good to keep on top of new and exciting things. Thanks again. 88keez
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: