macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieInNC
    Environment help...
    Hi Rounik, Here's what I'm trying to do. I would like to take the random velocities generated by a HH in Ultrabeat and have them control the level of a Wah pedal in the pedalboard plug-in located on a different track. In the environment, I can see through the monitor that the Wah pedal responds with "F 7 92 (Level)" where the (Level) ranges from the expected 0 to 127. I am able to convert the velocities of the HH notes in the arrange window to the fader data that matches that found in the Wah pedal monitor. How do I get the channel strip to actually read the converted data at this point coming from the HH and apply it to the Wah? This is sort of like side chaining, but there isn't a way to side chain through the amp/pedal board plug in, for obvious reasons. I'm just having trouble connecting the converted data to the plug-in itself. I know I can automate the wah, but it would be so much easier to build the environment and then simply apply regions that have random velocities all ready to go. Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Environment help...
    Hi Jamie, Well, you're completely correct... I can convert any MIDI note events into fader data of choice to control parameters of any plugin except the Pedal Board. That's kind of annoying... I'll have to check this out in more depth later on in the week. In the meantime a poor man's solution would be to use the Fuzz-Wah plugin. btw, what I did: - New Instrument object. - Created new track in Arrange for it. - placed HH region with random velocities on to that track. (This is out trigger). - Cabled the instrument object to a Monitor and to a transformer. Transformer Applies operation and filters non matching events and converts Note Ch 1 Pitch (as desired) Velocity unequal 0 to Fader X, DB1 X, and Velocity 'Thru'. - cable the transofmer to the desired SI channel. Cheers Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    OK, Rounik. Thank you for double-checking. I thought I was going crazy for not being able to get the pedal to respond to data that I knew was getting to the channel strip. I could see the numbers in the monitor! Oh, well. I guess it's a good thing to find things Logic [i]can't[/i] do every once in a while. Almost all day yesterday, I sat in front of the environment and actually tried to insert two faders in the MIDI path that would be able to control the RANGE of velocities that actually got through, acting as a sort of filter for fine tuning. For example, if someone liked the 35-70 range of the Wah, they could set the lower and upper range, and the Wah would only respond to those velocities that got through. Of course, a string of regions generated by UB could provide a seemingly random series of HH velocities, and one might even be able to automate the range of accepted velocities using the faders! Somehow I always choose processes that either can't be or aren't easily done. Darn it! Haha. [b]I think I'd like this to be a formal request to the great folks at MPV.com for a 300 or 400 level tutorial on the environment.[/b] The tutorial way down at the bottom for Logic 7 was helpful to a degree, but I think a more in-depth look at the workings beyond the basics would be quite nice. I've worked on Environment concepts for a considerable amount of time since I got the program last September, so perhaps a tutorial on the following issues would be apropos: - Transformers and detailed explanations of all the conditions/operations parameters in the pop-up window. - Types of transformer data and how they are used to control MIDI (Fader, Meta, Note-on, P-Press, et cetera). - Meta events and how the specific settings affect MIDI data, or the practical use of each. (For example, 96-Fader minimum, 97-Fader Maximum, Bang!, the usefulness of 126 and 127 settings, et cetera). - Using faders as a means to limiting or capturing specific MIDI data in real time, regardless of data type needed. These are just a few ideas, but I think it'd be great to gain PRACTICAL knowledge concerning the scariest area of Logic. The tutorial wouldn't even have to show examples. I'd be happy with a completely didactic tutorial that just shows what everything does and what everything means, updated to Logic 9, or course. I'd hate to throw Rounik under the bus here, but I think he'd be the PERFECT choice to continue the sort of work he did in his cameo on a much larger scale. Just a suggestion! Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jamie, Thanks! Not sure if I handle this many compliments in one day ;-) But thanks for considering chucking me under the bus... Actually, aside from the two TNT tutorial series have you checked out the Steve H masterclass? [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9201[/url] Videos 45-57 are exclusively about the Transform window... (The slightly bigger brother of the Transformer object). If you still want more, do feel free to post a suggestion in the Suggested Training sub forum as it'll be noticed there :) Now, if only I could get my brain in gear to figure out how to gain control plugins within the PedalBoard plugin. :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Good morning, Rounik! Well, I was able to easily create an environment to control both the pedal level and range using a couple of faders and an instrument object. The HH velocities work beautifully on the Fuzz-Wah plug in, which is close enough to what I was trying to achieve. I think that the pedalboard is going to be really tough to control in the environment, simply because it doesn't lend itself well to side chaining. The only thing I can think of that might be causing this difficulty is that you can put multiple pedals in action at once, and side chaining couldn't be specific enough to apply the side chain to ONE pedal out of the bunch. It would have to be applied to all. Now, I was thinking that there are Macro controls on the pedalboard that enable control surfaces to modify the pedals in real time. If only I could fool the program into thinking the environment objects were control surface macros. Then we might be in business! I just can't believe that one plug-in can't respond to environment objects. Jamie P.S. Yes, I have watched the masterclass. It was great! I actually forced myself to work in the environment on my own, and will post the environments I built this afternoon in the Environments thread. I think what I made could be useful for folks who are afraid of venturing into the environment wilderness!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jamie :) Cool! I clean forgot to post my little environment for controlling the Fuzz Wah - but sure, please do share yours if you like!! It's hard to believe eh! I gotta find some time this or next week and see if I can figure out another way to control pedal board controls using faders... :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Rounik, I figured out how to control the pedalboard in the environment thanks to the help of a guy over on the Apple board. Interested in hearing about it? I was right about using the Macro controls, remember? -HH data output through environment instrument through an IAC bus. -Data comes back through logic after being sent out. -Macro control A is wiggled on a "learn assignment" followed by playing the HH data. Voila! It worked. Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Nice one Jamie! You've stolen my thunder somewhat ;-) IAC is so cool! :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Yeah, I was pretty excited! I needed a bit of help, but was certainly on the right track. Anyway, there really isn't much to show as far as the environment. I must add, however, that I did place a monitor coming from the IAC bus onto the Mixer layer so I could see what was coming through. Once you get the note on/off data passing through that monitor, it does help to convert the data to the specific Macro A parameter, then filter out the 0 velocities for note-off. After that is converted, the learn assignment (Wiggle Macro A) followed by pressing play to activate the MIDI starts it right up. Great stuff! Never knew about the IAC bus option. Of course, I'm not sending anything out of Logic until now, so how could I have known about it? Haha! Jamie
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: