macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Environments, Macros and graphical tips!
    Hi further to a question by Jamie in another thread: "Rounik, How did you create that nice "window-full-o-buttons" I saw in the Environments thread? It doesn't look much like a regular macro, but like a Windows-based pane that has everything conveniently colored and placed within. I know I'm totally in the wrong thread for this, but wanted to ask you about that. It was that "Christmas gift" you left everyone in the environment thread... Jamie" I'd like to start anew thread about this! :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Environments, Macros and graph...
    Hi Jamie, A Macro is not an actual button as such... A Macro is really a collection of environment objects. It can be resized to create a window effect, so that ultimately it can hide / show the desired objects. Once you create buttons/faders/text objects in the environment, try selecting them all and then choose New > Macro. They will be added to a resizeable 'window/macro'. Now the cool thing about Macros is if you add Faders/knobs etc to them you can still control them even though they are packed inside a macro. So, all I can say is using the objects in the environment and experimenting with them and ornaments and trying to make a plugin style interface I was able to build something that somewhat resembles an interface... while hiding all the stuff inside! It took a while to do and a bit of planning as I came aross some buggy behaviour at times... I'd recommend reverse engineering ;-) Resize & Double click in an empty area of my macro (Random Nature V2 macro) and choose to unpack it. Now you'll get a closer look at what's going on inside. One tip on packing objects into a macro: Always put the elements you want the user to interact with (buttons/ faders) in the top left and move the rest of the 'engine' outta site, then when you create the macro you can resize it over the area you wish to be seen). Hope that helps! Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Great! I'll have to check that out when I get home today. I have tried to get used to macros, but for some reason, when I use the "Macro In" and "Macro Out" rules in creating them, I find it hard to place all of the buttons up on the left, since the "macro in" must have an object to connect to for it to work properly. I don't know if I'm articulating this issue properly, but I tried to do that with my Wah system and it didn't like that too much. Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jamie, I know what you mean. When creating environments for macros I always create two monitors. One for macro-in and one for macro-out. Then I position them wherever I choose out of sight... but definitely not further left or above the part of the environment I want visible inside the macro. Hope that helps... Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    You can do that? Sheesh! I always thought the uppermost-left item was where the macro-in had to begin it's operation. But I guess if you have several macros, you almost have to have a visual art degree to arrange everything in a way that makes sense and also works! I guess it's yet another "work-flow" issue I'll have to learn considering my environment skills are getting better and my systems are bound to get more complex as time goes on. By the way, Rounik, I used BOTH environments at the same time on a pad track in addition to my flying mid-range spike in the channel EQ. There are three sets of random velocities being used. The first is for the Fuzz-Wah plug in. The output of that is then affected by the second set of velocities controlling the Wah pedal in the pedalboard, thereby "Wah-ing" the other "Wahs." The third set controls my EQ spike which is creating all these weird, bubbly blips and beeps amidst all this wah going on. Pretty wild stuff! My roommate called it "schitzo," as in schizophrenic. Have you used Tone Gladiator 2? I was thinking about picking it up and learning to use it. Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Yeah, definitely. The objects can be anywhere on the screen as long as they are cabled correctly... Well, I don't have a visual arts degree ;-) but this is one reason why Mainstage2 is so appealing. The templates and graphical layout abilities are very cool. Would love to see some of these features make it into Logic's Environment one day. anyway, back to Logic... I think there needs to be more 'bubbly blips and beeps' in music these days! I liked what I heard of your track. Never heard of Tone Gladiator2. :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    Thank you, Rounik! When I finish the tune, I might post a link here to get some criticism from the Admins and Members, just to see where I stand with my ideas and the techniques I'm learning here. It's quite difficult to be different, but several of my friends who have listened to a couple of my finished tunes don't know what genre they would place them in, and that is EXACTLY what I like... The idea that they aren't easily identified or associated with some preexisting style makes me happy! You should check out some of the info on the Gladiator, Rounik. They seem to be using a neat "morphing" engine with seemingly limitless possibilities of sound combinations. The graphical interfaces are really neat looking, because they physically show how the sound is manipulated to create the end product. I think they have 4 oscillators that combine sounds 2x2, and a range of other capabilities. It looks to me like it is several plug-in type manipulators rolled into one window, and just the factory sounds alone sound quite unique before any tweaking takes place! Of course, I'd like to get some of the third-party mixing/mastering plug-ins I saw in the "Electronica" tutorial, especially the compressors. Something tells me a REALLY fine compressor can make all the difference in the final product, even though Logic's own compressors are quite capable. The further I go with this endeavor, the more I realize how much physical and virtual room I need for things I want! Seems to never end... Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jamie, I had a brief look at Tone Gladiator 2. Looks & sounds nice. I've still a lot more to explore in Omnisphere, which is a massive and quite astounding instrument. I love Spectrasonics products. They really know how to treat their user base well and when they create something I will always stop by and consider it! Also, on my list of synths to check out are Alchemy by Camel Audio. Very very nice. But I'm choosing to have a more minimal year in terms of 3rd party synths. Personally I find it easy to have too many instruments and not enough time to delve into them - so right now I'm spending more time with Logic's built-in instruments and effects... and Omnisphere and Stylus RMX and... ;-) Have you checked out Ozone 4 by iZotope? Well worth a look! Take care, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: