macProVideo.com
Forums
  • David T
    Producing new pop / dance - when you're a dinosaur
    Hi guys. OK, so back in my bad old days, i worked for a company producing high end backing tracks by the hundred. They were used for TV, games, radio, karaoke, you name it - they used it. Only, at that stage it was mostly bands, and real sounds. I've just been given a large order (after a long time out of that kind of work) by a backing track manufacturer. They are asking me to produce backing track versions of a top 10 listing every 10 days or so for them - so I've got to be REALLY fast with the software (this bits fine) and super-quick at reverse engineering sounds. Problem is that I'm not in the least bit up on what synths are being used on things to produce pop/dance these days. I can't find out what has been used on the tracks I'm trying to make in the first order and I don't know where to find the right sounds... I'm more than happy to buy some sound sources, either hardware or AU's as most of the sounds seem to be fairly similar (wobble bass, buzzy synth leads and basses etc), but what to buy? That's my problem!!! To give you an idea what kind of tracks I'm talking about - here's the list of what I've got to reproduce right now... [i]Fireflies Owl City Replay Iyaz Dont Stop Believin Glee Cast Starstrukk 3OH!3(feat. Katy Perry) Wont Go Quietly Example One Shot JLS Broken Heels Alexandra Burke Riverside (Lets Go) Sidney Sampson Young Forever Jay-Z feat Mr Hudson Bad Romance Lady Gaga[/i] Anyone got any ideas what kind of sound sources (AU's preferrably) would give me a chance at reproducing a good modern pop/dance sound? I've got Kontakt 3, I've got stylus, omnisphere, trilogy (not triljan yet) and I've got DFH superior for live drums, but it's the synths and noises that are the problem. Any ideas gang? Best David Tobin
  • JamieInNC
    Re: Producing new pop / dance - w...
    David, That is some list! I've sampled all of the tunes you have here, and for the most part it seems as if the synth sounds can be produced using the ES2, the Sculpture synth in a couple, and the EXS24. Of course, I am always better at determining how they use the sound as an EFFECT as opposed to where they got the sound in the first place. I can identify some side chaining and LFO usage almost immediately in most of the songs as well. For example, the background to the 3OH!3 song is almost exclusively ES2-like saw waves (perhaps doubled up, giving a real crackly sound) thrown through an LFO and maybe pitch-bent in a few places on transitions. Is this what you mean? By the way, please be warned that watching Lady Gaga in anything but the most SOBER state is a bad idea. You just might witness your own head pop right off your shoulders! God, she is bizarre... Jamie
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: