macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieInNC
    Studio monitors...
    Hi Folks! So, I took the plunge and bought a pair of KRK Rokit8 G2s today and I am really stunned by the quality of the sound I'm getting from these. It really is beyond belief. I listened to some Beatles, Royksopp, Bjork, Coldplay, David Guetta, and Rufus Wainwright through iTunes and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. You were right, Rounik. I got a high-quality pair of cables and plugged them into the balanced TRS inputs and there is NOTHING but the music. Just for kicks I boosted them to the max from my Duet with nothing playing and there was the slightest (and I mean slightest) hiss. VERY happy with them so far. Now, I went and opened logic and played a couple of tunes I thought were mixed pretty well through headphones, and boy, was I wrong! Things were so out of balance I couldn't even believe I had wasted time trying to mix without them. They are HUGE, which prompted me to run out and build an insert for the expandable table I'm using for a desk. I think I have them placed well because when I played some iTunes through them, the vocals sounded like they were literally coming from my screen. It was a bizarre experience, and I'm afraid I'm now going to be always scrutinizing sound that isn't from these amazing speakers. Here's a photo of my ever-growing home studio, for those who are interested! [img]http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5957/studiov.jpg[/img] Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Studio monitors...
    Hi Jamie, Sweet monitors! Glad to hear you're enjoying them. A couple of things I should mention when it comes to monitors and, well... monitoring sound. The room is very important... acoustics and such. Second is that it pays to listen to and learn about your monitors. By this I mean playback your mixes on as many different music systems as possible. e.g. iPod, Car Stereo, cheap CD players... you get the picture... because as nice as your mixes sound on your monitors, they might or might not translate the same way to every other system. So it's about thinking whether your fan using her her iPod will hear the Bass in the same way... or will it be too muddy? By using reference monitors and other stereo systems (which won't be as good as your KRKs) and going back and forth between them and your KRKs you'll soon become accustomed to which areas of your mix need to be tweaked to sound good on all systems... Hope I've explained this well - and definitely don't want to put any kind of dampner on your new monitors - which I'm sure are fantastic! :) Rounik
  • JamieInNC
    I hear you loud and clear, Rounik! I knew the moment I heard them that I would need a good amount of time and experimentation to get used to them. You certainly haven't put a damper on my recent purchase at all! If anything, you've confirmed my suspicions about system quality from listener to listener, and how everything right down to the bit depths and sample rates makes the difference. One thing I did notice amidst all the styles I've sampled on the monitors from the professionals is that there is an amazing evenness to the sound, even when certain personalities of the engineer are apparent from genre to genre, and even decade to decade. Just for fun I switched back and forth rapidly between the monitors and headphones within the same song and could hear marked changes to the colors and timbres floating by. I have an iPod, PS3, car audio, et cetera and plan on making several different versions for each medium. That notebook of paper in front of my keyboard is my "log," so to speak. I take notes on everything, and I have chosen two trusting people to sample the songs as they are finished. Hopefully using that hardware and those ears will help me to zero in on the near-perfect balance. Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Jamie, Yes! You made a very good point I forgot to: Coming back to the mix with fresh ears (whether that be those of trusted friends or your own). :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: