macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Pro & Logic Express
    Roland Edirol/NEED TRACKING HELP!! Weird Problem!
    I need the help of one of you experts... New to Logic but have used GarageBand for years. I am using a Roland Edirol UA-25EX interface. I am attempting to track a bass part in a project but have encountered a weird problem. When I play the bass with the rest of the project (MIDI Drums and Piano) the input signal is at a constant state of peaking no matter how hard I play. I assumed that I was just sending to much signal into the computer from the interface so I soloed my bass track and all of a sudden it sounded fine (levels were good - no peaking). Then I un-soloed the track again and the crazy peaking was back. After playing around with Logic and the Edirol for a few hours I couldn't trouble shoot the problem. I decided to hit record and see if Logic was recording the peaked out sound I heard (UNSOLOED) or the normal non-peaked bass tone I heard when it was soloed out. Sure enough when I listened back to the recording everything sounded fine!! Thats good I guess... but I cannot track the bass part with the peaked out sound and when I turn it down to try and get rid of the clipping, I can't hear the bass enough. Can someone help me with this please?!?!? Point me in a direction at least to try anything.....
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Roland Edirol/NEED TRACKING HE...
    Hi Welcome to the forums :) Do you have any other audio channel strips / tracks record enabled? Which version of Logic are you using? Are you recording into a mic or via direct line from Bass or amp to interface? Cheers Rounik
    Hey... Thanks for the reply! I am running 8.0. I'm running direct into Input 2/R with Hi-Z switch turned on. Any ideas? Justin
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Justin I need a few more details... 1. Do you have Direct Monitoring turned on/off in Logic Pro > Preferences? 2. Do you have software monitoring turned on? 3. Is the Audio interface definitely selected in the above Preferences (under Audio) 4. Open the Mixer in Logic. Do any other Audio channel strips have a flashing red "R" or an "I" button selected? 5. Does this happen only in the current project or in a brand new empty project? 6. Are you really running Logic 8.0.0 or are you using 8.0.2? 7. What version of OSX are you running? Cheers Rounik
    Ok! 1. I can't answer that because I can't find that check box or drop down menu..? Where is that? 2. Yes 3. Yes 4. No 5. It happens in both. 6. Yes... 8.0.0 7. OSX 10.5.8 Thanks, Justin
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Justin, RE #1: Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio 'Independent Monitoring level' try recording with it turned on and then off. 2. I would highly recommend updating to 8.0.2 and make sure that you have the latest updates for Leopard for your Edirol interface. 3. This may be a silly question but I need to check. Do you have any microphone plugged in to Input 1 of your interface? 4.Are you monitoring the output from Logic through speakers connected via the Edirol? Thanks Rounik
    1. I tried with Independent Monitoring checked and unchecked... got the same results. 2. I'm updating now..... 3. No 4. I'm using the 1/4" headphone jack out of the Edirol. In GarageBand I used to be able to use a interface(soundcard) for my input, then use the macs internal card for output. I can't find how to do that in Logic. Is that even an option?
  • Rounik Admin
    Can you send a screenshot of your Mixer page and Arrange area when you are recording? Details on how to take screen grabs and upload pics are here: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=15243[/url] There may be some other troubleshooting things we can try. 2. Good. Let me know how you get on. 3. OK. 4. This feature is available within in Logic, but in Logic 8 you need to create an aggregate device in AUDIO MIDI Setup (in Applications/Utilities) Details on how to do this: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215[/url] :) Rounik
    1. [img]http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2869/mixerwindow.png[/img] 2. Huh? ha 4. I went through and followed that support page step by step and it didn't work. Justin P.S. Would things be easier if I was using an Apogee Duet interface? Do you have any recommendations?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey! You've got Input monitoring turned on in the channel strip. It's the "I" button I mentioned in a previous post. Click on it to turn it off. Click on the R button (record ready) on the channel strip. Press the Record button in the transport. What happens now? :) p.s. have you tried using a different input on your Edirol? p.p.s Don't give up! As much as I love my Duet, I can't believe there isn't a simple reason, either a setting or operator error involved in this not working. :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: