macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Pro & Logic Express
    Re: Roland Edirol/NEED TRACKING HE...
    Same thing happens.... Maybe a little less. I have to turn the volume down so far on my ouput track and my interface that I can't even hear enough to track a decent take. Like before though.... The wave looks fine and when I listen back to what I recorded everything is good.... no clipping... no distortion. Guess this is what happens when an artist attempts to track live instruments in pro software. ha ??? I don't get it. So yeah.. Apogee? haha Justin
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Roland Edirol/NEED TRACKING HE...
    Hi Justin, 1. What do you mean 'maybe a little less'? 2. Have you read the section of the Logic 8 manual about Input Monitoring? Here is an excerpt from the Logic 9 Manual (p.438): "Using Auto Input Monitoring for Recording If Auto Input Monitoring is turned on, you will hear the input signal only during the actual recordingâbefore and afterwards youâll hear the previously recorded audio on the track, while Logic Pro is running. This helps you to judge punch-in and punch-out points when you are punch recording. If Auto Input Monitoring is turned off, you will always hear the input signal. To turn on auto input monitoring Do one of the following: Choose Options > Audio > Auto Input Monitoring from the main menu bar (or use the Toggle Auto Input Monitoring key command). Control-click (or right-click) the Record button in the Transport bar, and choose the Auto Input Monitoring setting from the pop-up menu. Your individual recording situations will determine whether or not to use auto input monitoring. Consider the following examples: ⢠Singers cannot hear themselves while Logic Pro is in play back mode â all they can hear is the old recording. In this case, turn off Auto Input Monitoring. ⢠The recording cannot be heard in playback mode. In this case, turn on Auto Input Monitoring to hear audio on the track. Using the Input Monitoring Buttons Before Recording You can use the Input Monitoring buttons to monitor audio tracks that are not armed. This is useful for setting audio levels or practicing parts before you commit to recording. Simply enable the Input Monitoring button on an audio trackâor a channel strip in the Inspector or Mixer. This works when Logic Pro is stopped or playing. The effect will be part of the monitor mix, but it will not be recorded. Tip: You can leave the Input Monitoring button turned on before, after, and during recording. When the Input Monitoring button is turned on, the Record Enable button and the Auto Input Monitoring feature do not affect software monitoringâthat is, you can always hear incoming audio. When you are punch recording, however, you should use the Auto Input Monitoring feature rather than the Input Monitoring buttons. Avoiding Latency Issues with Input Monitoring Note that input monitoring always involves some latency. Latency is entirely dependent on the audio hardwareâs capabilities and the driver settings. In certain configurations, it may be best to not monitor through Logic Pro at all, and thus obtain the best possible timing. Route the signal you want to record directly to headphones or the monitoring amplifier for monitoring purposesâand to the audio interface inputs, for recording. You wonât accidentally overdrive your A/D converters, because the input level meters of Logic Pro display a clip warning if an overload occurs. Setting the Monitoring Level for Recording If the Independent Monitoring Level (for Record Enabled Channel Strips) option in the Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio > Devices > Core Audio tab is enabled, an independent monitoring level is available when an audio channel strip is record enabled. After you arm the track, set the fader to the desired level. The original playback level will be restored when the channel stripâs Record button is disabled. Note: The Volume fader controls only the playback (or monitoring) level, not the recording level. You must set recording levels externallyâon your mixer, or at the original sound source. Take care when you set the input levels, because digital audio will clip when overloaded. Clipping results in a particularly harsh, metallic distortion, so unless you have a penchant for heavier musical styles, overloading the inputs isnât recommended (see âUnderstanding a Channel Stripâs Peak Level Displayâ)." ----- 3. Once you set the recording level (via your hardware) turning down the fader of the Bass channel strip will only affect the monitoring level. So you could turn down the other channels and turn up the Bass channel if desired... 4. Did you try recording through input 1 of the Edirol? 5. Apogee Duet. If you need really nice quailty preamps and can live with 2 simultaneous inputs only, then the Apogee Duet is a very nice interface indeed.... but my hunch is the issue you're having is not strictly interface related. Do let me know how you get on and please describe in as much detail as possible as of the steps you follow. Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: