macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wyrisei
    step input keyboard
    I noticed that when I enter a note using Step Input Keyboard, the note length is slightly shorter than full length. For example, an 8th note is 475 ticks, not full 480 ticks. Is that possible to change the preference so that I can get 480 ticks for an 8th note? Also when I step input using external MIDI keyboard controller, Logic uses the pitch and velocity from external controller and use note length information of step input keyboard window. Now I would love to input the pitch using external keyboard because it's faster for complicated chords but I want to use velocity and note length information of step input keyboard window - because for this job, I need to input fixed velocity for each dynamic marking like mf or pp. Of course I can use Transform or Velocity tool (w/ shift+option) to fix but less work is better... Are there any way to ignore velocity data from external keyboard when step input? I am using Logic 9.1 (32bit). Thanks a lot.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: step input keyboard
    Hi again Penguin, Thanks for posting this in a new thread! The only way I know to do this is using the Transform window after entering notes. - Select the Events you wish to alter. - From the Piano Roll or Event List choose: Function > Transform > Fixed Note Length - Enter 480 ticks into the Operations Length field. ----- I don;t think Logic can input the pitch only using the External keyboard and note length and velocity using the Step Input Keyboards Settings. Looks to me like using the methods you described to fix the velocity are the best ways to do this. However, you could create a Transformer in the Environment which fixes velocity for all incoming MIDI data. Place it in the signal chain from Physical Input to Sequencer Input... perhaps even use a switch fader to bypass/enable it... Thanks Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi again Penguin, OK. So I created a simple environment in Logic to fix velocity of incoming notes and with an on/off switch. Hope you find it useful. You can find a link to download it at the bottom of the Share Logic Environments thread here: [url]https://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=22544&sid=0#last[/url] :) Rounik
  • Wyrisei
    Thank you so much for your time, effort & creativity Rounik!! It not only works greatly but also looks so nice! This velocity fixer will be a permanent part of all of project templates. A few years ago, I was horrified to hear somebody mentioning "Environment". Thanks to MPV, especially Steve H's TNTs, I fell in love with Environment and my templates now contain many cool tools. I am not yet an advanced Environment designer like you, and therefore I want to learn more! I come to understand many of usual suspects but there are so many more objects I have no idea what to do, when and how to use. I really want Advanced Environment tutorials. Also organization tips, like the way you designed this one so cleanly, would be very helpful too. For getting the full note length, I then found "Quantize Note Length" from Transform works perfectly when I have not only 8th notes but also quarter notes and half notes, etc. Thank you very much. -A big fan from Japan
  • Rounik Admin
    Thank you Penguin for your kind words! Glad that the Velocity fixer environment works well for you. Great idea to use the 'Quantize note length' Transform function. The possibilities with the Environment are virtually endless. Personally, I find it helpful to think of something I would like to achieve first and then start building it in the environment... If you create an environment (no matter how simple it may seem) that you'd like to share, please do feel free to add it to the Sticky thread at the top of this forum :) Really glad to know the TNT and other tutorials have been helpful too & thanks for the tutorial suggestions! Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: