macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Express
    Speech (Voice) Recording
    I am intending to record text from a monthly publication for the visually impaired. Can I have idea of the settings I need to use in Logic to record about 3.5hrs recording.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Speech (Voice) Recording
    Hi Logic Express & welcome to the forums! We'll need a bit more info to be able to help you. e.g. Do you want to record 3.5 hours in one Logic Project? What is the final medium of delivery, podcast? CD? DVD? Downloadable mp3? etc. Generally, you will want to record your voice at the best quality in Logic and then bounce it down to the format needed. So, recording at 24bit and a sample rate of 44.1 would be a good idea. I believe you can record aprox. 13 hours into one project at this sample rate and bit depth. If you are recording into chapters or sections, you may want to create different projects (or tracks in the same project) for each article/section. Do let me know more details. Thanks Rounik
  • Logic Express
    Dear Rounik, Thank you so much for your reply. I do value the advice. My voice recording is intended for CD or possibly DVD distribution. May I ask if I need to adjust the tempo on the recording (Transport Bar 120? or 90?). Am I to record in AIFF or CAF format? Should I use the Pro's internal mic or plug in an external? Once again thank you for your help. Yours, Gaspar
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Gaspar, No problem. So, the Sample rate for CD is 44.1 Khz. DVD or audio for film is 48Khz. (you can set this up per project in the File > Project settings > Audio...) As you are recording spoken word, then recording without the metronome (click) is a better idea. You don't need to adjust the tempo of the project as there will be no need to. If you intend on recording one file for 3.5 hours... then choose CAF. But am I right in thinking you'll be recording in bite sized article sizes per file. (I think this is a better idea). You can record multiple audio files into one project. When you are happy with the recordings you have made then simply use the File > Bounce function to 'render' them with any effects to a single audio file. This is where you can then convert the file to the specified medium of delivery. The comapny should tell you what format they need (mp3, apple lossless, aiff, wav, etc). Using the internal mic on your Mac is not a great idea. It is good for non-professional applications. I would definitely recommend purchasing a good quality audio interface and a condenser microphone. What you choose to but will depend on your budget and the quality of recording you are looking for. Other considerations when recording are the room. An echoy room can cause issues for example, so a small but comfortable space without echo is a good idea. Hope that helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: