macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JamieInNC
    Hyperthreading...
    Hi Folks! I am wondering if any of the industry experts here have any comments about the ability of Logic (in some future version) to access the power of hyperthreading in the new machines that use multiple cores for processing. I've read a bit online about how Logic can and will only use so much of the top-end Macs capability, no matter how decked out they are with regards to processing speed, number of cores, and GB of RAM. Do any of you see Logic using this technology within the next few years? I understand that video rendering and creation require the new technology much more than music production, but thought Logic might be seen as "catching up" in utilizing this power sometime in the future. Seems like top end performance limits a file to 60-70 tracks before crashing. I don't think I'd ever use that many tracks at once unless some whacked out style characteristic shoots into my brain and I decide to use it! Anyway, I ask this because I have become somewhat hesitant toward whether or not to just invest in the i7 with full RAM. What I would like to see, and haven't found in any reviews, is the improvements in performance related to bouncing. For example, I have been recording 30-minute performances onto separate tracks within the same logic file for a week now. With 7 tracks so far, I have discovered that bouncing each track out of the file for future listening has caused my machine to become rather sluggish. Bouncing a 30 minute midi performance at first took maybe a few minutes. Now, the files takes noticeably longer. With 7 in total (of course they are Piano sounds generated by the EXS24, which is a CPU drag anyway) I feel like I need to start another file so that by day 10 or 11, I"m not waiting a half hour for the file to bounce offline while the CPU meter is pegged to the red-line. I also get concerned by the CPU working so hard over the course of the bounce. As always, I'm afraid of something breaking, burning out, et cetera.... Thanks all! Jamie
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Hyperthreading...
    Hi Jamie, I can imagine Logic will become even more efficient in using Grand Central and improved hyperthreading... but this is something I personally can neither confirm nor deny! However, one rumor I saw recently claims that OSX 10.6.3 has some Logic centred optimizations and bug fixes. It's very unusual to see a rumor about the OS with any reference to Logic. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: