macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Zagytya
    Separating Vocals from tracks
    Hi Steve and everyone, I am posting after a while as Tips and Tricks takes care of all the tricks I need or want but I want resolution to a situation. Basically, I am working on remix project. The original track and vocals in it with bass, kick and bass and even a bit of guitar. I basically want to carve out only vocals (or as much as possible) so that I can use other plug-ins for my remix. For example, I want to add a different kick drum, different bass lines etc. Can you think of any tricks are ideas by which I can achieve that or get the results as close as possible? Steve H: Hope you have been good. I would love it if you can post a Tips and Tricks session on this as it would be a great tip for anyone who is diong remixes. Thanks a lot. -- Adi
  • Zagytya
    Re: Separating Vocals from tracks
    No one has any tips :(
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Adi, Much of how this could be approached depends on the musical style, types of instruments in the mix and whether the vocals were mixed dead centre or not. Also the frequency range of the vocals compared to the other instruments will make a big difference. First thing is to identify whether the vocals sit central in the mix. Second identify the frequency range of the vocals using the Channel EQ. Then try to cut the other frequency bands until you have mainly just the vocals. There is another possible technique, but for now try that and see what results you can get by tweaking the EQ plugins. Cheers Rounik
  • spotlight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2E83_KB-wE&feature=PlayList&p=70B42D707A99FDCB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6 How to use logic to remove vocal I hope this will help you spotlight
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Spotlight, We prefer it if you don't link to other video tutorials ;-) I saw the one you linked to, and I'm not sure why she recommends using Soundflower to route the audio out of Logic and back in to make this work! so I'll explain here how you can remove the center channel... Depending on how the song was mixed, you'll get, well, mixed(!) results. The aim is to remove anything in the centre channel by inverting the phase of the audio: 1. Import your audio into Logic on a stereo audio track. 2. Create a new audio track and copy the region to the new track (They must both be exactly in line!) 3. Click on the format button (bottom of the channel strip) and set one track to LEFT signal and one to RIGHT signal. [img]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1518/screenshot20100303at130.png[/img] 4. Now on solo ONE of the tracks & insert a mono Channel EQ plugin and use it to filter out the bass frequencies and the kick drum. [img]http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1518/screenshot20100303at130.png[/img] When you're happy unsolo the track. 5. Insert a mono Gain plugin on the same track and click on the "Phase Invert" button. [img]http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7990/screenshot20100303at131.png[/img] Now press Play in Logic's Transport and you should find the centre channel of the song has been cancelled except for the lower bass frequencies which we filtered out of the phase inversion process on one of the tracks. If the vocals are not dead centre or there is a lot of reverb or delay on the vocals then those parts will still be audible. Hopefully this helps! Rounik
  • spotlight
    ops Sorry Didn't know about it Won't do it again! Thank you for your information Rounik ! Spotlight
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Spotlight, No problem at all! But in this case, although I enjoyed the video you linked to and the presenter was very funny and well intentioned, it left me with more questions than answers. Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: