macProVideo.com
Forums
  • DiScO
    Q:Steve H Master Class 1 Plugin Delay Compensation
    Hi Folks, I think this may be my first post here, so apologies if it's in the wrong section. I was watching the master class videos yesterday and was so glad to see a section on the plugin delay compensation settings in Logic as they have always confused me slightly. Perhaps I missed something, but the setting Instruments and audio tracks, as Steve says does not compensate for bus or aux tracks? So what happens if you are using a multi out instrument that makes use of aux tracks? Are these not compensated for? It's kind of a non question I guess as I tried it briefly yesterday and it all seemed 'tight' when using multi instrument outs (although it was a very basic project). If I had a project that was say near completion, eg I had started mixing but decided to add some more parts, would it be best to leave the setting to 'all' and use the low latency button instead of switching to audio and instrument tracks? I suppose what I'm really trying to ask is, if I have finished a mix and want to lay vocals over it that will be recorded as tight as possible, what are my best options with regards to these settings? I'm guessing pdc to 'all' and make use of the low latency button? Or bounce the track to stereo and track over that perhaps and bring them back into the project? Also, there is no reference (as far as I can remember!) to the setting in ms of the LLM, I see it is default at 5ms in Logic. Does this have any relation to the buffer size settings? I realise that any plugins with a latency above this setting are disabled, but for the sake of recording vocals does this setting affect that or not? Sorry if thats a lot of questions, perhaps I have the wrong tutorial! Many thanks for such great clear and concise videos though. I have learnt so much from these great Steve H tutorials and look forward to purchasing more in the future. All the best, Adrian.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Q:Steve H Master Class 1 Plugi...
    Hi DiScO, & Welcome to the macprovideo forums! Yes, you are correct with PDC set to Instruments and audio tracks any latency inducing plugins on Aux channels (yes, even those from a multi-inst) will not be automatically bypassed and may cause latency. I would suggest in 'heavy' projects to set PDC to All and use Low Latency Mode. Bouncing the track would also work. Videos 62 and/or 63 definitely discuss the LLM limit slider. But it doesn't have any direct relationship with the i/o buffer size AFAIK, except that the i/o buffer will set the latency settings across the whole system and the LLM will make sure that plugins causing xx amount of extra latency will be bypassed. At least that's my understanding... These are great questions by the way! Seeing as you mention wanting more tutorials. Are you aware of the current 55% discount offer on all download tutorials here at macProVideo.com (ending 28th Feb)? Cheers Rounik
  • DiScO
    Hi Rounik, Many thanks for getting back to me! So, providing I'm not using any latency inducing plugins on the multi instrument aux channels, then the audio from that aux channel will be in line with the rest of the project? I'd love to see how the audio is routed from a multi O/P instrument. I've seen reams of discussions about PDC in the past on various forums etc and after reading them all I end up more confused than ever! That's why it was great to see a tutorial on it, the penny kind of dropped after the explanation. I have always found working with 'all' and using the LLM to be the best option for me but having seen the tutorials my mind wandered again in search of perfection! As with most things, I suppose there are a number of ways to achieve the same result, but I always find the the Steve H way to be the most logical in my mind(which is why I buy his tutorials). Just trying to find the best method when recording vocal takes on a busy project really. Yes, I saw the promotion in my email thanks. I just bought the master class which is why I am here! There are others I like the look of, as always, but I like to ensure I know what I'm doing before moving on to the next! All the best, Adrian.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Adrian! I agree, Steve H. is an amazing trainer. Now only does he have an immense amount of knowledge on Logic, he also has professional real-world experience and is a natural teacher (i.e. he can break down complex concepts into easy to understand and fun segments). I also tend to go for PDC to All and LLM enabled. If you're not using any latency inducing plugins on the Aux channels then everything will work just fine. Remember that not using latency inducing plugins won't add any extra latency... or won't clog up or slow down the audio signal from it's source (HD) to the output channel strip. btw, the 55% off discount offer has been extended until Monday 28th - although I'm sure you know that anyhow! Do keep us up to date with your findings and of course pop back with any questions or observations. Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: