macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic Benchmark test - please ...
    hey mtec, Best to start a new topic in the Mac OS sub-forum... if this answer solves your question then don't worry :) I often get files whose permissions need to be fixed and are fixed... the only problem is when a permission on a file cannot be fixed. Disk Utility will let you know! :) Rounik
  • culljosh
    Hello I just got a Mac Book Pro i7 2.77 GHz with 1333GHz. I have 10.6.7 and Logic 9.3.7. I ran the benchmark test someone upload of 80 plus tracks and it ran very smoothly. I didnt realize some tracks were muted. So I was able to do 32 before I got white flagged. I ran the Evan Logic one. Also, I have a iMac Intel Core 2 Duo at 3.06 and 1067 MHz 4 gigs.. I have not tried the bench mark but I successfully have done 49 with Aux Channels with Waves Plugins and so on. So I am wondering which one will work out better. I am interested in this all. Thanks and hope I see more posts. Joshua Badillo I have not tried the bench mark but I successfully have done 49 with Aux Channels with Waves Plugins and so on. So I am wondering which one will work out better. I am interested in this all. Thanks and hope I see more posts. Joshua Badillo
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Joshua, Thanks for posting your results. Are you running the Early 2011 i7 MBP? I ran the Evan test on my i7 15" 2.2GHz 8GB ram early 2011 MBP: - Logic in 32-bit mode = 76 tracks playback reliably - Logic in 64-bit mode = 81 tracks playback reliably The tracks must be unmuted for it to be viable for playback. So your initial results of 81 tracks. Was that with any of these tracks muted?? If so then you only count the tracks which are unmuted. Thanks!
  • Peter Schwartz
    I know a lot of people has used the "Evan" benchmark test, but IMO, I don't think it's even remotely valid as a test. I came up with an alternative test, found here: http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=316045#316045 FWIW...
  • Rounik Admin
    Sure Evans benchmark is not a real-world, test Mr. Party Pooper ;-) ... and it doesn't accurately test Logic's CPU and disk streaming usage... :-)
  • Peter Schwartz
    Sorry to rain on your parade, Mr. A. Grees-with-me-but-seemingly-under-protest. ; - )
  • Rounik Admin
    OK then... I'll quit while I'm behind and rain soaked... as anybody reading this thread should know, Mr Ski is a world-renouned authority on MIDI and Logic. It's not worth me picking a Logic argument with him!! If you have already been helped out by him here on the forums or on the macProVideo Hub... well, you'll know his knowledge of Logic is up there with SteveH. ... and on the top of that... there's something very special he's been hard at work on which will possibly blow every digital musician's mind when they see it. Curious? You should be ;-) This "special" work has not been released just yet, so keep your eyes peeled over the coming week. It's too good to miss! ----- Now back to the benchmarks... Ski, I'm gonna have to download your benchmark test. Any chance you can post the direct download link here in this thread? Thanks! R
  • Peter Schwartz
    "World-renounced authority"? I'd say that's an apt description. But seriously, my take on the merits of the Evan benchmark test is not so much authoritative as it is a considered opinion. I do feel strongly that the Evan test is highly flawed in terms of being a realistic way to benchmark performance, it's not my intention to put the guy down as a result. His efforts were very well-meaning. Here's a direct link for the test: [url]http://www.score2picture.com/L9pix/Ski-S2 Stress Test.logic.zip[/url] And here's a description of what it's all about (copied from my post over on LPH): [b]How I Constructed the Test:[/b] Starting with a new song, I created 255 instrument tracks. Then I selected all of those instruments in the Enviromment's Mixer layer and instanciated an EFM1 in one of them (meaning that all 255 instruments now contained an EFM1). Next, on track1 and at the default tempo of 120 BPM I recorded a chromatic scale from bottom to top of my 88 note keyboard and quantized the notes to 16ths. I looped the region, leaving a 1-measure rest after the scale ended so that there'd be a pause in the action before the pattern looped from the top. Then I doubled-up on the tempo (now 240 BPM). Finally, I copied that region to all other 254 instrument tracks. Starting playback with all but the first track muted, I gradually unmuted them as the song played down to see how many tracks I could get to play. The results were interesting, to say the least (this is on a PPC Quad 2.5). After trying out EFM1, I swapped out all 255 EFM1's for ESE's, then ESM's, and so on. Here's the data: PPC Quad 2.5G Buffer Size = 128 FF800 interface 44.1K sampling rate Process Buffer = Medium ESE = 19 tracks ES2 stereo = 22 tracks EVB3 = 30 tracks EFM1 = 113 tracks ESP = 150 tracks ES1 stereo = 239 ES1 mono = 240 ESM = 255 tracks EXS-24 stereo (no samples loaded, just the default sine wave) = 255 Sculpture = untested... (after swapping out all 255 plugins with Sculpture I got an "out of memory" error) [b]How to Perform the Test[/b] Basically, do what I described above. Starting with all tracks muted, instanciate the instrument plugin of your choice in all 255 instrument channels in the Environment Mixer page (makes it easier than doing in the Mixer page, though YMMV). Then gradually unmute tracks in the arrange page and see how many you can get to play without hiccups. In terms of testing pure computing power (no samples, no audio streaming from RAM or disk), using ESE, ES2, or EVB3 would be good ways of stressing the computer, at least based on the setup I described above.
  • culljosh
    I just did SKI'S Benchmark test. On a 2011 2.7GHz Intel Core i7. With 4 GIGS of 1333 MHz of Ram. I ranv39 Tracks until it White Flagged. Not to bad. But I am wondering how this will work with Waves VST's and so on. Also I have a iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06GHz With 4 gigs of 1067 MHz of Ram. On that I have done above 70 tracks in a recording session. With Plugins and so on. Appreciate the test and your opinions. Cheers.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: