macProVideo.com
Forums
  • David T
    What to buy...
    Hi all. I'm about to buy a new macpro 8 core. I want to figure out the best value for money and I need some advice. I'm either going to buy the 2.66 or 2.9ghz machine and I'll get as much RAM as i can afford. Question is this. I'm in the UK, but looking on Ebay there are many machines for sale from the US which are MUCH MUCH cheaper than those available in the UK. I have seen a 3.2ghz machine with 16GB of RAM for £3300, which is miles cheaper than here. Is there any reason that anyone can think of why machines purchased in the states would have any problems in the UK? Also, am i better getting a 2.66 machine with 16 gig RAM or a 2.9machine with 8 gig of RAM and upgrading the RAM later? I'm using all of the usual suspects re sound sources... spectrasonics full set, VSL, EWQL, Symphonic Choirs etc as well as Waves etc. I just want to get the best machine for my money.. and need some guidance. Any ideas? Best David Tobin
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: What to buy...
    Hi David, So you're going for the Quad-core not 8-core? If you purchase a Mac via eBay and especially from overseas then you will struggle to get any official Apple support for that machine in the UK. I don't even know if the warranty would be valid here? Personally, purchasing a Music Production Mac Pro via eBay as my main machine would not be the route I would take. 3rd party ram is cheaper than purchasing direct from Apple. Check out crucial.com. This may make a massive difference. Bear in mind also that ram prices traditionally continue to fall over time especially as demand increases. Of course get the best speed you can afford as installing your own ram in the future is a doddle whereas swapping out a 2.66 processor for a 2.9 is not. Other places to try are the Apple Refurbished store: [url]http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw[/url] btw, according to the macrumors.com Buying guide the Mac Pro may be due an update soon. This doesn't mean there will be an update soon... but I thought this link may be useful FYI. Best Rounik
  • David T
    hi Rounik. Good point re the quad vs 8 core. I've actually looked at both, but it's just a question of budget. I've got about £5k inc vat to spend - so it's difficult to work out the exact machine to get. I think i will be from the UK on reflection - and I'm very familiar with Crucial RAM - it's just which machine to go for.. As a composer (you know the drill...) if you had £5k, what would you plump for? Best David
  • Rounik Admin
    hmmm... tough choice... does your budget include display(s) and ram further down the road... keyboard/mouse, etc?
  • David T
    Budget includes all screens, keyboard, mouse etc although I will be able to buy some RAM later - it's just a job for 5k gets paid in a few weeks and that's going for a new machine! David
  • David T
    Here's an idea a colleague had... Mac Pro - 2 x Quad Core 2.66GHz - 16GB RAM - 4 x 1TB Hard Drives - Mac Pro RAID Card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 - Superdrive - Keyboard & Mouse - Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adaptor - 3 Years AppleCare Warranty. 2 x Formac 23" LCD Displays Total - £4719.00 + VAT Total - £5544.83 inc VAT It's a wee bit over budget but I could cope. What do you think?
  • Rounik Admin
    OK. And what machine are you currently using? What limitations are you finding with it and in what way with Logic/3rd party plugins? It might be worth your while getting a 2.66 and plenty of ram. Did you want two screens? I'd go the 8-core: 2.66, 8GB ram for now, 2x 1TB internal drives, ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB, 1x 24" display, Apple Magic Mouse, standard keyboard, Airport Extreme wi-fi card. Comes to £4980. But... at the same time I'd be tempted to invest in the 27" i7 Quad core iMac 2.8, and kit it out with 16GB ram from crucial for about £700... 2 TB HD, an Apple remote for about £2800... and spend the rest on control surfaces, an iPad and a well earned holiday! :) Rounik
  • David T
    Hmm... An interesting idea.... I hadn't thought of the imac with 16gig RAM.... I'm using an imac 3ghz with 4 gig RAM. I use the following sound sources: Stylus RMX Trilogy (about to get Triljan) Omnisphere Kontakt 3 Symphonic Choirs SD2 (EW) VSL Orchestral Cube VSL Imperial Piano Samples galore... Do you think that I'd be able to make a decent orchestral setup with 16gig RAM in a Quad Core imac - would it cope with all of the processing issues that the big orchestral libraries place on it? David ps - Holiday... what's that? :-)
  • Rounik Admin
    Judging by early reports it might be ok... but I'd be hesitant to suggest it over a Mac Pro for professional film scoring and orchestration purposes. Have you read this thread: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=23274[/url] Perhaps Jamie will be able to give some real-world experience when he gets his i7 Quad-core iMac? [quote:]ps - Holiday... what's that? :-) [/quote] I dunno. Heard someone talking about one of these and thought I'd drop it into the conversation. ;-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: