macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rohogay
    Tips and Tricks, Side chaining result
    Thanks to a quick watch just for curiosity sake, I learned how side chaining worked. As simple as that might sound, I never found a reason to need it but I just watched the tutorial for the heck of it. Then the light bulb went off. I used it to to suppress the bass frequencies of all the guitar tracks that were heavy on bass. I took a copy of the kick drum and made it a side chain source. It was bussed out to an AUX channel and that AUX channel controlled compressors on all the guitar tracks that needed suppression. So basically, I lower the volume of the bass producing guitar tracks that were in conflict with the kick drum on all the kick events to bring out the kick drum. It's a low frequency kick drum so it needed space. Thanks to both Steve and Martin for the lessons. Martin's lesson gave me the idea of making space. Steve made it perfectly clear what side chaining was to begin with and how to use it. Here is my resulting demo clip: [url]http://mojaveampworks.com/snd/CP.mp3[/url] One last point, Steve also likes to use the multimeter which I have adopted and it is invaluable. I read exactly the frequency the kick was residing in. I went to the bass guitar and notched out the kick freq. with a phase EQ to carve out some space and prevent masking over the kick drum as well. Use that multimeter! Carving out the bass was an idea that came from Isiac on the R&B mixing tutorial. Victor Mason AKA Cheif-Talkalot [url]http://mojaveampworks.com[/url]
  • steveH
    Re: Tips and Tricks, Side chaining...
    We are all a team! Thanks for your perspective.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: