macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hamish H
    no difference in performance after upgrade
    Hi Rounik I've brought my system up to max capability - 64 bit logic 9.1, snow leopard 10.6.2, 8 GB ram (from 2GB), and all third party plug ins 64 bit compatible (according to Novation). From what I understand from the forums and tutorials, everything should be running pretty good. Even if (for some unknown reason) Logic is still in 32 bit mode it should be able to use a full 4GB of ram, instead of just the 2 GB that was available before. But I've just done the benchmark test again, and the results are exactly the same (Logic played 16 tracks, crashed on 17)! Any ideas? should I have expected this? Thanks boss
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: no difference in performance a...
    Hi Hamish, My benchmark test is extremely rudimentary test and not designed to see how Logic can use more ram per plugin instance. It's more of a track count test. I thought it would be nice to compare between systems (iMac i7 and earlier versions of iMac or MBP or MacPro). 64-bit allows an application to use more than 4GB per application (and in Logic's case) per instrument. Have you checked out Steve H's tutorial for more details on what 64-bit really means for us Logic users: [url]https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic107[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • Hamish H
    Thanks Rounik. I've actually seen Steve's tutorial already, and i thought that the benchmark test was the same as the stylus test he did. My mistake! I have seen a couple of the other things happen that Steve mentioned, eg the playhead stops and starts on a dime now. I'm sure I'll notice some other differences down the track. And in the meantime my activity monitor is showing nothing but green so happy days! Thanks for the response, have a great day
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Hamish, Yes.. my benchmark test maybe should be relabeled as a track count test... It's really not very scientific anyways. Another good way is to run Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) on a certain project and do a before and after test... though unless you have a clone of your Leopard system, that won't be possible now. ;-) Have a great day :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: